Re: SBE Opti-Scan Programmable Cards?

Jack Hendrickson

Here is a possible source of cards.

http://www.gcomradio.com/mods.html

On 7/31/2020 7:41 PM, Joe M. wrote:
A few possibilities:

1. The RX is blown (toss it).

2. The lamp is burned out (fix if it's cheap) / (This is the lamp that shines on the card I'm talking about)

3. If you get it working, cards have been NLA since the 80's (maybe 70's). Get a QSL card and mark the back as the OEM card is divided. Then either use a hole punch or but out squares that match the frequency. The manual should still be available to show the binary code.

The card trick is what I did until mine finally went kaput. It wasn't worth replacing when you can get keyboard programmable scanners a third the size with 20 times the channels.

Any squelch noise? Does the scan stop at all?

One thing I really liked about those are the amber lights. It was a nice change from the typical red LEDs.

Joe M.

On 7/31/2020 5:08 PM, Gary wrote:
I recently acquired a 70s SBE Opti-Scan scanner.  More for curiosity
than functionality.  It came with a card in it that actually has two or
three frequencies that are used to this day.  However they are for a
county south of me.  The scanner appears to work okay but so far I
haven't gotten any "hits".  Is there anyone out there in scannerland who
have some of these programmable cards?

73,
Gary - W6GVS
Dowagiac, MI