Topics

12 Days of a Scanner Christmas

Michael Martin

Here is my gift to you all!  I’ve had this list for many, MANY years, and it’s time to share it once again with all my fellow scanner heads!

/\/\|k.e

On the first day of Christmas, my true love gave to me:

A box full of new scanner radios!!

On the second day of Christmas, my true love gave to me:

2 Police Call Directories
And a box full of new scanner radios!!

On the Third day of Christmas, my true love gave to me:

3 Antenna couplers,
2 Police Call Directories
And a box full of new scanner radios!!

On the Fourth day of Christmas, my true love gave to me:

4 cordless phones
3 Antenna couplers
2 Police Call Directories
And a box full of new scanner radios!!

On the Fifth day of Christmas, my true love gave to me:

5 Magnet Mounts
4 Cordless Phones
3 Antenna Couplers
2 Police Call Directories
And a box full of new scanner radios!!

On the Sixth day of Christmas, my true love gave to me:

6 Mounting Brackets
5 Magnet Mounts
4 Cordless Phones
3 Antenna Couplers
2 Police Call Directories
And a box full of new scanner radios!!

On the Seventh day of Christmas, my true love gave to me:

7 Scanner Crystals
6 Mounting Brackets
5 Magnet Mounts
4 Cordless Phones
3 Antenna Couplers
2 Police Call Directories
And a box full of new scanner radios!!

On the Eighth day of Christmas, my true love gave to me:

8 Trunking Radios
7 Scanner Crystals
6 Mounting Brackets
5 Magnet Mounts
4 Cordless Phones
3 Antenna Couplers
2 Police Call Directories
And a box full of new scanner radios!!

On the Ninth day of Christmas, my true love gave to me:

90 Feet of Coax
8 Trunking Radios
7 Scanner Crystals
6 Mounting Brackets
5 Magnet Mounts
4 Cordless Phones
3 Antenna Couplers
2 Police Call Directories
And a box full of new scanner radios!!

On the Tenth day of Christmas, my true love gave to me:

10 Police Blue Light Bars
90 Feet of Coax
8 Trunking Radios
7 Scanner Crystals
6 Mounting Brackets
5 Magnet Mounts
4 Cordless Phones
3 Antenna Couplers
2 Police Call Directories
And a box full of new scanner radios!!

On the Eleventh day of Christmas, my true love gave to me:

11 Unknown frequencies
10 Police Blue Light Bars
90 Feet of Coax
8 Trunking Radios
7 Scanner Crystals
6 Mounting Brackets
5 Magnet Mounts
4 Cordless Phones
3 Antenna Couplers
2 Police Call Directories
And a box full of new scanner radios!!

On the Twelfth day of Christmas, my true love gave to me:

12 Days sitting at dispatch
11 Unknown frequencies
10 Police Blue Light Bars
90 Feet of Coax
8 Trunking Radios
7 Scanner Crystals
6 Mounting Brackets
5 Magnet Mounts
4 Cordless Phones
3 Antenna Couplers
2 Police Call Directories
And a box full of new scanner radios!!

Scott, KB3JQQ

On 2020-12-21 18:31, Michael Martin via groups.io wrote:

2 Police Call Directories

Can you even get a Police Call directory any more?
I have 2 quite outdated versions.
The TRX-2 has a frequency listing updated weekly.

Mark Mitchell

Scott,
The guy doing Police Call passed away some time ago and months manual is no longer being published.

Mark

On 2020-12-21 18:31, Michael Martin via groups.io wrote:

2 Police Call Directories

Can you even get a Police Call directory any more?
I have 2 quite outdated versions.
The TRX-2 has a frequency listing updated weekly.

vh2

On 2020-12-21 18:31, Michael Martin via groups.io wrote:

2 Police Call Directories

Can you even get a Police Call directory any more?
I have 2 quite outdated versions.
The TRX-2 has a frequency listing updated weekly.

Forrest

Police Call certainly preceded the internet and since things have so widely been published and available online, like many printed materials, it likely would not have survived regardless.  It’s difficult to argue with nearly daily updates online.  I certainly remembered them well and looked forward to each new issue as did many of you.

Forrest

On 2020-12-21 18:31, Michael Martin via groups.io wrote:

2 Police Call Directories

Can you even get a Police Call directory any more?
I have 2 quite outdated versions.
The TRX-2 has a frequency listing updated weekly.

Michael Martin

Wait!  All this talk about Police Call being gone, and no one is talking about crystals for scanners?  😃

/\/\|k.e

On 2020-12-21 18:31, Michael Martin via groups.io wrote:

2 Police Call Directories

Can you even get a Police Call directory any more?
I have 2 quite outdated versions.
The TRX-2 has a frequency listing updated weekly.

Rich

what was the name of the company in sandwich, il that made scanner crystals?  i bought tons of crystals from them using those blue $5(??) certificates from Rat Shack.

Dave Reingold

Did not Police Call precede Radio Reference?  I seem to recall some sort of connection back in the 1990s.

I have Police Calls going back to the day all areas were in one telephone directory size book.  Radio Shack carried the regional editions when the volume of agencies grew so large than they could no longer be contained in one book.

On 2020-12-21 18:31, Michael Martin via groups.io wrote:

2 Police Call Directories

Can you even get a Police Call directory any more?
I have 2 quite outdated versions.
The TRX-2 has a frequency listing updated weekly.

Jeff Kenyon

My first exposure to scanners happened with crystal scanners.  My dad had an 8-ch crystal scanner, and my grandfather had a 4-ch scanner.  Both scanners were desktop and my grandfather’s had the four yellow lights for the channel while my dad’s had red channel indicators.  On my dad’s scanner if you turned off all of the channels you would have a very faint purple glow.  His unit was VHF/UHF with separate antennas for VHF and UHF.

On 2020-12-21 18:31, Michael Martin via groups.io wrote:

2 Police Call Directories

Can you even get a Police Call directory any more?
I have 2 quite outdated versions.
The TRX-2 has a frequency listing updated weekly.

Jeff Kenyon

It did, and wasn’t PoliceCall the guide that was available at RadioShack?

On 2020-12-21 18:31, Michael Martin via groups.io wrote:

2 Police Call Directories

Can you even get a Police Call directory any more?
I have 2 quite outdated versions.
The TRX-2 has a frequency listing updated weekly.

tonyde1117

Shepard Industries, CTS knights, BOMAR, American, JAN Industries, Monitor Crystal Service,

https://ieee-uffc.org/about-us/history/uffc-s-history/a-history-of-the-quartz-crystal-industry-in-the-usa/

Tony

Re: 12 Days of a Scanner Christmas
From: Rich
Date: Tue, 22 Dec 2020 16:50:44 EST
what was the name of the company in sandwich, il that made scanner crystals?  i bought tons of crystals from them using those blue $5(??) certificates from Rat Shack.

nwpac6

Of course the 12 Days runs from Christmas to the 6th of January

Michael Martin

My first true scanner, beside the older tunable radios, was the Radio Shack Pro 14 – a 10 channel VHF Hi/Low and UHF model.  It was a beast!

/\/\|k.e

On 2020-12-21 18:31, Michael Martin via groups.io wrote:

2 Police Call Directories

Can you even get a Police Call directory any more?
I have 2 quite outdated versions.
The TRX-2 has a frequency listing updated weekly.

Rich

CTS Knights sounds familiar.  thanks!

Rich via iPad

From: Rich
Date: Tue, 22 Dec 2020 16:50:44 EST
what was the name of the company in sandwich, il that made scanner crystals?  i bought tons of crystals from them using those blue $5(??) certificates from Rat Shack.

Paul Munsel

What are these Police Call Directories and Crystals you speak of???
😆😆😆

Forrest

Yes, by quite a lot, since Police Call and the Betty Bearcat books both preceded the Internet.

Forrest

On 2020-12-21 18:31, Michael Martin via groups.io wrote:

2 Police Call Directories

Can you even get a Police Call directory any more?
I have 2 quite outdated versions.
The TRX-2 has a frequency listing updated weekly.

Mark Mitchell

Paul,
These are the gone by times of old and no longer...oh, there are a few hams still holding on to the Chrystal ones but they too will be gone soon as most public safety is going digital.

Mark

On Wed, Dec 23, 2020, 2:05 PM Paul Munsel <n5xmv5@...> wrote:
What are these Police Call Directories and Crystals you speak of???
😆😆😆

Mark Mitchell

Guess what I would like to know is are there any uses after your department goes digital?

From: Rich
Date: Tue, 22 Dec 2020 16:50:44 EST
what was the name of the company in sandwich, il that made scanner crystals?  i bought tons of crystals from them using those blue $5(??) certificates from Rat Shack.

Glenn Wright N1GAW

New US Secret Service Detail and code name announced. Wonder if anyone will see this in the next few days?

From: Rich
Date: Tue, 22 Dec 2020 16:50:44 EST
what was the name of the company in sandwich, il that made scanner crystals?  i bought tons of crystals from them using those blue $5(??) certificates from Rat Shack.

Ken Hansen

Love it! My favorite scanner (visually) were the radio shack scanners like the one seen in the opening sequence if the TV show SWAT.

On 2020-12-21 18:31, Michael Martin via groups.io wrote:

2 Police Call Directories

Can you even get a Police Call directory any more?
I have 2 quite outdated versions.
The TRX-2 has a frequency listing updated weekly.

<RadioShack Pro14.jpg>