Topics

[blind-hams] End of Environment Canada VHF Weather service announcement Sept 7th 2020

Jeff Kenyon

So do I. I know that they wanted to do away with WWV. That would be a bad thing as a lot of people count on the National Weather Service. I wonder if at some point NWS goes to a digital format such as APCO-25 or some other format? If that were in the works it would take a long time. I’ve always wondered what people have in other parts of the world that doesn’t have the luxury of NWS or Environment Canada. I was on a cruise a while back, and one of the places we stopped at was the Grand Kaymond Islands, and I would have thought they had something, as far as weather radio, but there was nothing that I could find.

On Sep 7, 2020, at 3:51 PM, Jim Gammon <jgammon1@...> wrote:

Jeff, some time back, I heard something from The Great Divider In Chief, that they wanted to do away with the National Weather Service, or maybe it was just the automated weather radio service. Like so many other things, the idea was floated but not yet carried out. I hope it died! Jim WA6EKS

-----Original Message-----
From: main@blind-hams.groups.io <main@blind-hams.groups.io> On Behalf Of Jeff Kenyon
Sent: Monday, September 07, 2020 12:12 PM
To: Blind Hams <blind-hams@groups.io>
Cc: scanner@groups.io
Subject: [blind-hams] End of Environment Canada VHF Weather service announcement Sept 7th 2020

Well, you’ll hear this message from Environment Canada right from the source. I guess this is happening in a lot of locations all over Canada. Hopefully, the NOAA Weather Radio here in the states doesn’t suffer the same fait. https://youtu.be/Pu0bTDN8vQ8

Joe M.

I really doubt they would switch to P25.

1. It would instantly make millions of alert receivers useless.

2. They didn't narrowband for the same reason.

3. They still even sent the 1000 Hz tone alert that was improved decades ago (for backward compatibility).

Joe M.

On 9/7/2020 4:04 PM, Jeff Kenyon wrote:
So do I. I know that they wanted to do away with WWV. That would be a bad thing as a lot of people count on the National Weather Service. I wonder if at some point NWS goes to a digital format such as APCO-25 or some other format? If that were in the works it would take a long time. I’ve always wondered what people have in other parts of the world that doesn’t have the luxury of NWS or Environment Canada. I was on a cruise a while back, and one of the places we stopped at was the Grand Kaymond Islands, and I would have thought they had something, as far as weather radio, but there was nothing that I could find.

Jeff, some time back, I heard something from The Great Divider In Chief, that they wanted to do away with the National Weather Service, or maybe it was just the automated weather radio service. Like so many other things, the idea was floated but not yet carried out. I hope it died! Jim WA6EKS

From: main@blind-hams.groups.io <main@blind-hams.groups.io> On Behalf Of Jeff Kenyon
Subject: [blind-hams] End of Environment Canada VHF Weather service announcement Sept 7th 2020

Well, you’ll hear this message from Environment Canada right from the source. I guess this is happening in a lot of locations all over Canada. Hopefully, the NOAA Weather Radio here in the states doesn’t suffer the same fait. https://youtu.be/Pu0bTDN8vQ8

Jeff Kenyon

Hi Joe, that would be bad if they all went down, but then a few years ago they tried to do away with WWV.

On Sep 7, 2020, at 4:23 PM, Joe M. <mch@...> wrote:

3. They still even sent the 1000 Hz tone alert that was improved decades ago (for backward compatibility).

Joe M.

Ken Hansen

WWV was caught in a typical political funding battle, it wasn't really likely to be shut down.

The NWS - which has nothing to do with WWV - broadcasts weather reports as a public service, I have no idea how transitioning to a digital modulation mode like P25 would improve their service. TheIt goal is to make the broadcasts Easily accessible for everyone, something their current FM transmitters do quite well.

Ken

On Sep 7, 2020, at 15:23, Joe M. <mch@...> wrote:

Joe M.

Jeff Kenyon

At this point you never know what’s in store for all of these things. I never thought there would be a political battle over WWV, and there is speculation that National Weather Service will be next on the battleground. in further conversations in other parts of the world they don’t have the equivolent of NOAA Weather Radio, and I couldn’t imagine life without it. With that being said, I don’t know how other parts of the world handled sending out warnings and watches prior to smartphones, and even now where there is little to no cell coverage.
On Sep 7, 2020, at 7:29 PM, Ken Hansen <ken@...> wrote:

WWV was caught in a typical political funding battle, it wasn't really likely to be shut down.

The NWS - which has nothing to do with WWV - broadcasts weather reports as a public service, I have no idea how transitioning to a digital modulation mode like P25 would improve their service. TheIt goal is to make the broadcasts Easily accessible for everyone, something their current FM transmitters do quite well.

Ken

Joe M.

Joe M.

They don't. If you want to know what
weather is coming - look to the skies.

Or get a weather rock. (you know - if it's wet
it's raining, if it's hot it's sunny, etc.)

I can see somewhat of an argument for NOAA due to smartphones,
but there are millions of people who have home alert monitors.

Also, and I'm going to try to keep this as politically neutral as possible, politics does not mean that something is good to get rid of. The way politics works is that if one party (either one - doesn't matter) wants to get rid of something the other party wants to keep, the second party will attach an amendment that says something like WWV will go away with it. That forces both parties to be on record as voting against WWV and getting rid of that plus the original item, or keeping both. Since (assuming) few would want to be on record as voting to get rid of WWV, the original item is safe. WWV was never really in danger.

Joe M.

On 9/7/2020 7:41 PM, Jeff Kenyon wrote:
At this point you never know what’s in store for all of these things. I never thought there would be a political battle over WWV, and there is speculation that National Weather Service will be next on the battleground. in further conversations in other parts of the world they don’t have the equivolent of NOAA Weather Radio, and I couldn’t imagine life without it. With that being said, I don’t know how other parts of the world handled sending out warnings and watches prior to smartphones, and even now where there is little to no cell coverage.

Ken

Joe M.

Rail Scan

The growing reliance on 'smart phone's for emergency alerts like severe weather is ill conceived.
The cellular infrastructure and internet alone cannot be counted on during or after a natural or man made catastrophe.

Charlie
http://railscan.net

Original Message  

Sent: September 7, 2020 20:24
To: main@Scanner.groups.io
Reply-to: main@Scanner.groups.io
Subject: Re: [Scanner] [blind-hams] End of Environment Canada VHF Weather service announcement Sept 7th 2020

Also, and I'm going to try to keep this as politically neutral as
possible, politics does not mean that something is good to get rid of.
The way politics works is that if one party (either one - doesn't
matter) wants to get rid of something the other party wants to keep, the
second party will attach an amendment that says something like WWV will
go away with it. That forces both parties to be on record as voting
against WWV and getting rid of that plus the original item, or keeping
both. Since (assuming) few would want to be on record as voting to get
rid of WWV, the original item is safe. WWV was never really in danger.

Joe M.

At this point you never know what’s in store for all of these things.  I never thought there would be a political battle over WWV, and there is speculation that National Weather Service will be next on the battleground.  in further conversations in other parts of the world they don’t have the equivolent of NOAA Weather Radio, and I couldn’t imagine life without it.  With that being said, I don’t know how other parts of the world handled sending out warnings and watches prior to smartphones, and even now where there is little to no cell coverage.

Ken

Joe M.

So do I.  I know that they wanted to do away with WWV.  That would be a bad thing as a lot of people count on the National Weather Service.  I wonder if at some point NWS goes to a digital format such as APCO-25 or some other format?  If that were in the works it would take a long time.  I’ve always wondered what people have in other parts of the world that doesn’t have the luxury of NWS or Environment Canada.  I was on a cruise a while back, and one of the places we stopped at was the Grand Kaymond Islands, and I would have thought they had something, as far as weather radio, but there was nothing that I could find.
Jeff, some time back, I heard something from The Great Divider In Chief, that they wanted to do away with the National Weather Service, or maybe it was just the automated weather radio service.  Like so many other things, the idea was floated but not yet carried out.  I hope it died!  Jim WA6EKS

Well, you’ll hear this message from Environment Canada right from the source.  I guess this is happening in a lot of locations all over Canada.  Hopefully, the NOAA Weather Radio here in the states doesn’t suffer the same fait.   https://youtu.be/Pu0bTDN8vQ8

Phil Kane

On 9/7/2020 5:24 PM, Joe M. wrote:

And the Coast Guard stopped the NAVTEX marine safety broadcasts on 518
kHz claiming that the ships can get the info by satellite anyhow. One
drop at a time.....

73 de K2ASP - Phil Kane

Joe M.

True, but we are talking about warnings, so it's before they happen.

A warning about them after they happen is less than useful.

Joe M.

On 9/7/2020 9:26 PM, Rail Scan via groups.io wrote:
The growing reliance on 'smart phone's for emergency alerts like severe weather is ill conceived.
The cellular infrastructure and internet alone cannot be counted on during or after a natural or man made catastrophe.

Charlie
http://railscan.net

Original Message

Sent: September 7, 2020 20:24
Reply-to: main@Scanner.groups.io
Subject: Re: [Scanner] [blind-hams] End of Environment Canada VHF Weather service announcement Sept 7th 2020

Joe M.

Ken

Joe M.

jeff

On 9/7/20 9:26 PM, Rail Scan via groups.io wrote:
Agreed.
I think too much relies on GPS also.

Joe M.

One drop? Or is it closer to one egg at a time (into the same basket)?

Joe M.

On 9/7/2020 10:23 PM, Phil Kane wrote:

kHz claiming that the ships can get the info by satellite anyhow. One
drop at a time.....

73 de K2ASP - Phil Kane

Phil Kane

On 9/7/2020 7:02 PM, jeff wrote:

The growing reliance on 'smart phone's for emergency alerts like
severe weather is ill conceived.
The cellular infrastructure and internet alone cannot be counted on
during or after a natural or man made catastrophe.
Agreed.
I think too much relies on GPS also.
Especially since GPS receivers don't work indoors, as I have found when
I could not put up an outdoor antenna.

73 de K2ASP - Phil Kane

George

When I am in the back country, I have a WX radio and it can usually get a signal.  NOT true for cell phones, let alone Internet access from cell phones.

On Monday, September 7, 2020, 7:23:36 PM PDT, Phil Kane <k2asp@...> wrote:

> I can see somewhat of an argument for NOAA due to smartphones,
> but there are millions of people who have home alert monitors.

kHz claiming that the ships can get the info by satellite anyhow.  One
drop at a time.....

73 de K2ASP - Phil Kane

Suzanne Lockett

cayman islands

----- Original Message -----
To: <main@Scanner.groups.io>
Sent: Monday, September 07, 2020 7:24 PM

Also, and I'm going to try to keep this as politically neutral as possible, politics does not mean that something is good to get rid of. The way politics works is that if one party (either one - doesn't matter) wants to get rid of something the other party wants to keep, the second party will attach an amendment that says something like WWV will go away with it. That forces both parties to be on record as voting against WWV and getting rid of that plus the original item, or keeping both. Since (assuming) few would want to be on record as voting to get rid of WWV, the original item is safe. WWV was never really in danger.

Joe M.

Ken

Joe M.

But Wheat

That's called pork barrel politics, a long established practice

-------- Original message --------
Date: 9/7/20 20:24 (GMT-05:00)

Joe M.

> At this point you never know what’s in store for all of these things.  I never thought there would be a political battle over WWV, and there is speculation that National Weather Service will be next on the battleground.  in further conversations in other parts of the world they don’t have the equivolent of NOAA Weather Radio, and I couldn’t imagine life without it.  With that being said, I don’t know how other parts of the world handled sending out warnings and watches prior to smartphones, and even now where there is little to no cell coverage.
>> On Sep 7, 2020, at 7:29 PM, Ken Hansen <ken@...> wrote:
>>
>> WWV was caught in a typical political funding battle, it wasn't really likely to be shut down.
>>
>> The NWS - which has nothing to do with WWV - broadcasts weather reports as a public service, I have no idea how transitioning to a digital modulation mode like P25 would improve their service. TheIt goal is to make the broadcasts Easily accessible for everyone, something their current FM transmitters do quite well.
>>
>> Ken
>>
>>> On Sep 7, 2020, at 15:23, Joe M. <mch@...> wrote:
>>>
>>> I really doubt they would switch to P25.
>>>
>>> 1. It would instantly make millions of alert receivers useless.
>>>
>>> 2. They didn't narrowband for the same reason.
>>>
>>> 3. They still even sent the 1000 Hz tone alert that was improved decades ago (for backward compatibility).
>>>
>>> Joe M.
>>>
>>>>> On 9/7/2020 4:04 PM, Jeff Kenyon wrote:
>>>> So do I.  I know that they wanted to do away with WWV.  That would be a bad thing as a lot of people count on the National Weather Service.  I wonder if at some point NWS goes to a digital format such as APCO-25 or some other format?  If that were in the works it would take a long time.  I’ve always wondered what people have in other parts of the world that doesn’t have the luxury of NWS or Environment Canada.  I was on a cruise a while back, and one of the places we stopped at was the Grand Kaymond Islands, and I would have thought they had something, as far as weather radio, but there was nothing that I could find.
>>>>>> On Sep 7, 2020, at 3:51 PM, Jim Gammon <jgammon1@...> wrote:
>>>>>
>>>>> Jeff, some time back, I heard something from The Great Divider In Chief, that they wanted to do away with the National Weather Service, or maybe it was just the automated weather radio service.  Like so many other things, the idea was floated but not yet carried out.  I hope it died!  Jim WA6EKS
>>>>>
>>>>>
>>>>>
>>>>> -----Original Message-----
>>>>> From: main@blind-hams.groups.io <main@blind-hams.groups.io> On Behalf Of Jeff Kenyon
>>>>> Sent: Monday, September 07, 2020 12:12 PM
>>>>> To: Blind Hams <blind-hams@groups.io>
>>>>> Cc: scanner@groups.io
>>>>> Subject: [blind-hams] End of Environment Canada VHF Weather service announcement Sept 7th 2020
>>>>>
>>>>> Well, you’ll hear this message from Environment Canada right from the source.  I guess this is happening in a lot of locations all over Canada.  Hopefully, the NOAA Weather Radio here in the states doesn’t suffer the same fait.   https://youtu.be/Pu0bTDN8vQ8
>>>>>
>>>>>
>>>>>
>>>>>
>>>>
>>>>
>>>>
>>>>
>>>
>>>
>>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>
>
>
>
>

Joe Polcari

And one Democrat’s have been trying to do away with but while it exists, it would be foolish to not use it.

On Sep 9, 2020, at 9:34 PM, But Wheat via groups.io <kx8xx@...> wrote:

That's called pork barrel politics, a long established practice

-------- Original message --------
Date: 9/7/20 20:24 (GMT-05:00)

Joe M.

> At this point you never know what’s in store for all of these things.  I never thought there would be a political battle over WWV, and there is speculation that National Weather Service will be next on the battleground.  in further conversations in other parts of the world they don’t have the equivolent of NOAA Weather Radio, and I couldn’t imagine life without it.  With that being said, I don’t know how other parts of the world handled sending out warnings and watches prior to smartphones, and even now where there is little to no cell coverage.
>> On Sep 7, 2020, at 7:29 PM, Ken Hansen <ken@...> wrote:
>>
>> WWV was caught in a typical political funding battle, it wasn't really likely to be shut down.
>>
>> The NWS - which has nothing to do with WWV - broadcasts weather reports as a public service, I have no idea how transitioning to a digital modulation mode like P25 would improve their service. TheIt goal is to make the broadcasts Easily accessible for everyone, something their current FM transmitters do quite well.
>>
>> Ken
>>
>>> On Sep 7, 2020, at 15:23, Joe M. <mch@...> wrote:
>>>
>>> I really doubt they would switch to P25.
>>>
>>> 1. It would instantly make millions of alert receivers useless.
>>>
>>> 2. They didn't narrowband for the same reason.
>>>
>>> 3. They still even sent the 1000 Hz tone alert that was improved decades ago (for backward compatibility).
>>>
>>> Joe M.
>>>
>>>>> On 9/7/2020 4:04 PM, Jeff Kenyon wrote:
>>>> So do I.  I know that they wanted to do away with WWV.  That would be a bad thing as a lot of people count on the National Weather Service.  I wonder if at some point NWS goes to a digital format such as APCO-25 or some other format?  If that were in the works it would take a long time.  I’ve always wondered what people have in other parts of the world that doesn’t have the luxury of NWS or Environment Canada.  I was on a cruise a while back, and one of the places we stopped at was the Grand Kaymond Islands, and I would have thought they had something, as far as weather radio, but there was nothing that I could find.
>>>>>> On Sep 7, 2020, at 3:51 PM, Jim Gammon <jgammon1@...> wrote:
>>>>>
>>>>> Jeff, some time back, I heard something from The Great Divider In Chief, that they wanted to do away with the National Weather Service, or maybe it was just the automated weather radio service.  Like so many other things, the idea was floated but not yet carried out.  I hope it died!  Jim WA6EKS
>>>>>
>>>>>
>>>>>
>>>>> -----Original Message-----
>>>>> From: main@blind-hams.groups.io <main@blind-hams.groups.io> On Behalf Of Jeff Kenyon
>>>>> Sent: Monday, September 07, 2020 12:12 PM
>>>>> To: Blind Hams <blind-hams@groups.io>
>>>>> Cc: scanner@groups.io
>>>>> Subject: [blind-hams] End of Environment Canada VHF Weather service announcement Sept 7th 2020
>>>>>
>>>>> Well, you’ll hear this message from Environment Canada right from the source.  I guess this is happening in a lot of locations all over Canada.  Hopefully, the NOAA Weather Radio here in the states doesn’t suffer the same fait.   https://youtu.be/Pu0bTDN8vQ8
>>>>>
>>>>>
>>>>>
>>>>>
>>>>
>>>>
>>>>
>>>>
>>>
>>>
>>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>
>
>
>
>

Ken Hansen

Weather sirens.

Here in DFW we have sirens on towers around the DFW Metroplex.

And the EBS - Emergency Broadcast Service which cuts into broadcast TV and Radio stations to warn about eminent weather threats.

Ken

On Sep 7, 2020, at 19:24, Joe M. <mch@...> wrote:

Joe M.

Ken

Joe M.

Rich

those sirens are *outdoor* weather sirens meant to alert persons who are *outdoors* of approaching severe weather. they are not intended for and are extremely ineffective in alerting persons Inside a building.

before i retired one of the villages in our 9-1-1 system replaced an older outdoor weather siren. when the project was complete the NIMBY's descended on the village administrator's office demanding the siren be removed. seems the good citizens were afraid little johnny or sally's hearing would be damaged. the siren remained in place.

TV and radio alerts are good as are phone alerta but nothing is as good as a weather alert receiver.

Rich via iPad

On Sep 11, 2020, at 08:27, Ken Hansen <ken@...> wrote:

Weather sirens.

Here in DFW we have sirens on towers around the DFW Metroplex.

And the EBS - Emergency Broadcast Service which cuts into broadcast TV and Radio stations to warn about eminent weather threats.

Ken

On Sep 7, 2020, at 19:24, Joe M. <mch@...> wrote:

Joe M.

Ken

Joe M.

Ken Hansen

Once you realize most Americans will never buy a weather radio, but will spend most of their waking hours either outside or inside near a turned-on Radio or TV the current system seems pretty good.

Of course, you are unlikely to be alerted while sleeping.

Ken

On Sep 11, 2020, at 12:39, Rich <rk911forums@...> wrote:

TV and radio alerts are good as are phone alerta but nothing is as good as a weather alert receiver.

Rich

unless you have a weather alert radio. most probably don't have one. most of those people likely don't know they exist.

Rich via iPad

On Sep 11, 2020, at 13:31, Ken Hansen <ken@...> wrote:

...Of course, you are unlikely to be alerted while sleeping.

Ken