Topics

FB or MO

Chris Pohlad-Thomas

When you are looking through a list of frequencies associated with a business, do you tend to monitor the fixed base frequencies or the mobile frequencies?

--
Chris Pohlad-Thomas

Phil Kane

On 6/29/2020 10:45 AM, Chris Pohlad-Thomas wrote:

When you are looking through a list of frequencies associated with a
business, do you tend to monitor the fixed base frequencies or the
mobile frequencies?
If it's a conventional simplex system, the base (FB) and mobile (MO)
stations are *supposed to be * on the same frequency.

If it's a conventional repeater system, the mobiles (MO) are *repeated*
on the repeater (FB2) output,

And then we have the oddball configurations of half-duplex where the
base (FB) and mobile (MO) are on different frequencies but are not
cross-repeated. You will be amazed at what some system planners seem to
come up with.

Trunked systems are a whole different bowl of soup.

73 de K2ASP - Phil Kane

Joe M.

In business, there are usually one of two cases:

1. The base and mobile frequency are the same. This would be FB FCC station class for the base.

2. They are using repeaters which are not designated FB, but in this case the repeater is what you would monitor since it retransmits the mobile transmissions. Repeaters are usually FB# where # is 2 through 8.

Joe M.

On 6/29/2020 1:45 PM, Chris Pohlad-Thomas wrote:
When you are looking through a list of frequencies associated with a
business, do you tend to monitor the fixed base frequencies or the
mobile frequencies?

--
Chris Pohlad-Thomas

<#DAB4FAD8-2DD7-40BB-A1B8-4E2AA1F9FDF2>

Chris Pohlad-Thomas

I don't think I ever realized what the difference was between an FB and an FB2. Thanks!

Chris Pohlad-Thomas

On 6/29/2020 10:45 AM, Chris Pohlad-Thomas wrote:

> When you are looking through a list of frequencies associated with a
> business, do you tend to monitor the fixed base frequencies or the
> mobile frequencies?

If it's a conventional simplex system, the base (FB) and mobile (MO)
stations are *supposed to be * on the same frequency.

If it's a conventional repeater system, the mobiles (MO) are  *repeated*
on the repeater (FB2) output,

And then we have the oddball configurations of half-duplex where the
base (FB) and mobile (MO) are on different frequencies but are not
cross-repeated.  You will be amazed at what some system planners seem to
come up with.

Trunked systems are a whole different bowl of soup.

73 de K2ASP - Phil Kane

Jan Fine

Fixed Base. Those are the repeaters. The mobile freqs are normally the inputs.

On 6/29/2020 6:41 PM, Phil Kane wrote:
On 6/29/2020 10:45 AM, Chris Pohlad-Thomas wrote:

When you are looking through a list of frequencies associated with a
business, do you tend to monitor the fixed base frequencies or the
mobile frequencies?
If it's a conventional simplex system, the base (FB) and mobile (MO)
stations are *supposed to be * on the same frequency.

If it's a conventional repeater system, the mobiles (MO) are *repeated*
on the repeater (FB2) output,

And then we have the oddball configurations of half-duplex where the
base (FB) and mobile (MO) are on different frequencies but are not
cross-repeated. You will be amazed at what some system planners seem to
come up with.

Trunked systems are a whole different bowl of soup.

73 de K2ASP - Phil Kane

https://www.avg.com

Kevin O'Rourke

FB is a fixed base transmitter (simplex).  FB2 is a fixed base repeater.

~Bill

To add to the GOOD info

FB2 generally a single user repeater, but may [YMMV] contain multiple PL/DPL tones

FB4 Community repeater – radio shop rents out, but makes each user license as well

FB6 Community repeater – users come, users go, no license info to search for other than the Radio Shop owner

FB8 usually reserved for a Community Trunked system – owned by one entity in the FCC [radio shop or Business or Government entity]

As to the OP’s original question to listen to the FB or MO – only you will learn which one to listen to.

A Duplex system you likely want to listen to both, but  a Semi-Duplex Repeater system, just rely on the FB2, FB4, FB6 or FB8 listing.

Now to add [depending where you are, and whose network] more confusion, you may want to listen to the FX1, FX2 remote RX/TX or control stations

Depending on how these are using, they could be a Mountain Top RX site

FB is a fixed base transmitter (simplex).  FB2 is a fixed base repeater.

David Lines

Here is a full listing of the station class codes.

Enjoy,
Dave, N3NTN

On Tue, Jun 30, 2020, 9:44 AM Kevin O'Rourke <kevin.orourke1@...> wrote:
FB is a fixed base transmitter (simplex).  FB2 is a fixed base repeater.

David Lines

This link would help!

Station Class Codes

Dave, N3NTN

On Tue, Jun 30, 2020, 9:44 AM Kevin O'Rourke <kevin.orourke1@...> wrote:
FB is a fixed base transmitter (simplex).  FB2 is a fixed base repeater.

Joe M.

Can you provide the source for "FB4 Community repeater – radio shop rents out, but makes each user license as well"

According to the FCC, FB4 station class means the community repeater is licensed for multiple users under the one license. That is what makes it a "community repeater". Licensing of each user would be required under an FB2 station class, but not FB4 or above (FB6/FB7/FB8).

Joe M.

On 6/30/2020 12:04 PM, ~Bill wrote:
[...]

From having had to Freq Coordinate and FB4 in the past and my Coordinator telling me that each user would have to license and I did not want to pay for the extra $$ over-charges for an FB6

Now that said, my last coordination was in the early 80's so the FCC may have changed the rules, but that is the source as well as having watched many years of FCC grants.

YMMV