Topics

FCC Updates Weekending 01/09/2021

Michael Martin

Thanks for being patient, everyone, this week’s report was the largest by far.  Mostly renewals, but none the less, a large database to scrub (about 20 hours’ worth of work!).

Highlights of this week’s report:

Arizona – The San Carlos Apache Tribe (Gila County) has new VHF P25 frequencies.
Arizona – Phoenix (Maricopa County) has added a new 700 MHz Phase II system.
California – State of California Office of Emergency Services has add new UHF NFM Interop frequencies in Los Angeles County.
California – Mobile Relay Associates (Riverside County) has added a new UHF NXDN TRS.
Iowa – The Conley Group (Polk County) has added a new 800 NFM TRS.
Montana – Lewis and Clark County has a new 700 MHz P25 TRS  (Unknown if this will tie into the statewide VHF P25 TRS).
Montana – The Montana Highway Patrol has 2 new 800 MHz P25 TRS in Missoula and Powell Counties (Unknown if this will tie into the statewide VHF P25 TRS).

New York – Mobiletech Communications (Jefferson County) has a new UHF NXDN TRS.
Washington – Microsoft (Grant County) has a new UHF DMR TRS.

That’s it for this week!

Stay Safe Out There!!

/\/\|k.e

thompsond@...

Arizona – Phoenix (Maricopa County) has added a new 700 MHz Phase II system.
This system is not new. It's been up for a year or more.  Its a mixture of most 7xx MHZ with Smith Peak still in the 8xx range.

Randy Thomas

All I would usually know the answer to this question  but am in the early stages of Dementia. I have two scanners a pro 197 and a BCD 996P2. Both use BNC plugs for antenna input. I have the P2 connected to a antenna on 60ft tower Discone. I would like to connect the Pro197 to this same antenna on my tower. Right now i have the pro197 using just the basic antenna that came with it.. I know it is a splitter that I need. But thats all I can remember. Is it a two way bnc splitter a rhree way splitter.  I cant remember what I need to order on Amazon. Am a 100 percent disabled veteran and been in CBS and scanners since the mid 60s but for the life of me I am lost. Both scanners are within 3 feet of each other. I know i am going to need a jumper cable its the plug I need that is diving me nuts brothers. Thank you so much and will try not to bother you again. Randy

Sent from my Verizon, Samsung Galaxy Tablet

Joe M.

There are a few ways to do that. In order of best, good, and OK:

The ideal way is by using a multicoupler that provides isolation of the ports (prevents interference between receivers). They also often provide amplification to counter the losses of the splitting. The Stridsberg multicoupler is a very common example of this. These will always require power.

A less effective/expensive way is by using a splitter such as a TV splitter or other RF splitter. These usually provide isolation but no compensation of the losses. Stridsberg also makes these (called passive splitters), but so do companies like Mini Circuits and even Radio Shack.

A very inexpensive way is by using something like a BNC "TEE connector". This will also work, but there will be some loss and could be interference between the units. This can be done for around $10.

So it depends on just how much loss and potential interference you want to accept. The first two are usually frequency-dependent, so make sure you get one that covers the band(s) of interest. The tee is not frequency dependent.

Joe M.

On 1/12/2021 2:14 PM, Randy Thomas wrote:
All I would usually know the answer to this question but am in the
early stages of Dementia. I have two scanners a pro 197 and a BCD 996P2.
Both use BNC plugs for antenna input. I have the P2 connected to a
antenna on 60ft tower Discone. I would like to connect the Pro197 to
this same antenna on my tower. Right now i have the pro197 using just
the basic antenna that came with it.. I know it is a splitter that I
need. But thats all I can remember. Is it a two way bnc splitter a rhree
way splitter. I cant remember what I need to order on Amazon. Am a 100
percent disabled veteran and been in CBS and scanners since the mid 60s
but for the life of me I am lost. Both scanners are within 3 feet of
each other. I know i am going to need a jumper cable its the plug I need
that is diving me nuts brothers. Thank you so much and will try not to
bother you again. Randy

<http://www.avg.com/email-signature?utm_medium=email&;utm_source=link&utm_campaign=sig-email&utm_content=emailclient>
Virus-free. www.avg.com
<http://www.avg.com/email-signature?utm_medium=email&;utm_source=link&utm_campaign=sig-email&utm_content=emailclient>

<#DAB4FAD8-2DD7-40BB-A1B8-4E2AA1F9FDF2>

David Pilon

Randy,

A BNC tee connector should work for you.  A tee usually has two male BNCs on the ends with a female BNC in the middle. You can basically daisy-chain your two scanners to the antenna. Just connect the antenna to one of the male BNCs on the tee, the first scanner to the female BNC, and connect a jumper going to the second scanner to the other BNC.

There will be slight reduction in RF signal delivered to both radios with this setup, but in real world terms, it shouldn’t be noticeable.

Dave K8DTP 

On Jan 12, 2021, at 2:26 PM, Randy Thomas <thomasrandylee@...> wrote:

All I would usually know the answer to this question  but am in the early stages of Dementia. I have two scanners a pro 197 and a BCD 996P2. Both use BNC plugs for antenna input. I have the P2 connected to a antenna on 60ft tower Discone. I would like to connect the Pro197 to this same antenna on my tower. Right now i have the pro197 using just the basic antenna that came with it.. I know it is a splitter that I need. But thats all I can remember. Is it a two way bnc splitter a rhree way splitter.  I cant remember what I need to order on Amazon. Am a 100 percent disabled veteran and been in CBS and scanners since the mid 60s but for the life of me I am lost. Both scanners are within 3 feet of each other. I know i am going to need a jumper cable its the plug I need that is diving me nuts brothers. Thank you so much and will try not to bother you again. Randy

jeff

https://www.amazon.com/Eightwood-Splitter-Adapter-Female-Connector/dp/B00WFZRNMQ/ref=sr_1_22_sspa?dchild=1&;keywords=antenna+splitter+bnc&qid=1610480326&sr=8-22-spons&psc=1&spLa=ZW5jcnlwdGVkUXVhbGlmaWVyPUEzMzRTUlk5TTA3SkxHJmVuY3J5cHRlZElkPUEwODcyNjg5MzY2Qkg2SzRBNlAzMCZlbmNyeXB0ZWRBZElkPUEwNjY3MTU4MUdFVElRR041VlIwSyZ3aWRnZXROYW1lPXNwX2J0ZiZhY3Rpb249Y2xpY2tSZWRpcmVjdCZkb05vdExvZ0NsaWNrPXRydWU=

https://www.amazon.com/Splitter-Adapter-Connector-RFAdapter-Coaxial/dp/B07W1W6VC7/ref=sr_1_1_sspa?dchild=1&;keywords=antenna+splitter+bnc&qid=1610480426&sr=8-1-spons&psc=1&spLa=ZW5jcnlwdGVkUXVhbGlmaWVyPUExVVM2NTA0UVcxRk9FJmVuY3J5cHRlZElkPUEwNjE4NjgwTFdSWlA1QUE5TFVBJmVuY3J5cHRlZEFkSWQ9QTA0OTUzMDZPWUhUR0wzUkZJQUwmd2lkZ2V0TmFtZT1zcF9hdGYmYWN0aW9uPWNsaWNrUmVkaXJlY3QmZG9Ob3RMb2dDbGljaz10cnVl

This is the main idea - a BNC splitter. Make sure you have all the
cables you need - 2 from scanner to splitter, BNC

On 1/12/21 2:14 PM, Randy Thomas wrote:
All I would usually know the answer to this question  but am in the
early stages of Dementia.
You're the first person I've ever seen say this.
Hoping for some medical help for it.

Best to you.

Forrest

You should feel free to chat about all this, Randy.

Ideally, the splitter would have three male BNC connectors on it: one for the input from your outdoor antenna and two outputs, one for each scanner.  So you will need two jumpers cables, BNC female to BNC female to connect each scanner to the output side of the splitter.  I’m assuming that your outdoor lead from the antenna terminates as a female BNC and that both scanners have BNC male connections at the back.

To avoid having two jumper cables, this is another option where you connect the splitter box directly to the back of one of your scanners and it includes some photos:

Best to you and thank for your service.  I’m also a veteran hitting 70 this year (I hope) and have been around scanning since I was a mid teenager, so well over 50 years.

Hope that helps,
Forrest

On Jan 12, 2021, at 1:14 PM, Randy Thomas <thomasrandylee@...> wrote:

Forrest

And I heartily agree and use a Stridsberg, but didn’t know if you wanted to get into that deep as they are fairly expensive.

Forrest

On Jan 12, 2021, at 1:34 PM, Joe M. <mch@nb.net> wrote:

There are a few ways to do that. In order of best, good, and OK:

The ideal way is by using a multicoupler that provides isolation of the ports (prevents interference between receivers). They also often provide amplification to counter the losses of the splitting. The Stridsberg multicoupler is a very common example of this. These will always require power.

A less effective/expensive way is by using a splitter such as a TV splitter or other RF splitter. These usually provide isolation but no compensation of the losses. Stridsberg also makes these (called passive splitters), but so do companies like Mini Circuits and even Radio Shack.

A very inexpensive way is by using something like a BNC "TEE connector". This will also work, but there will be some loss and could be interference between the units. This can be done for around $10.

So it depends on just how much loss and potential interference you want to accept. The first two are usually frequency-dependent, so make sure you get one that covers the band(s) of interest. The tee is not frequency dependent.

Joe M.

On 1/12/2021 2:14 PM, Randy Thomas wrote:
early stages of Dementia. I have two scanners a pro 197 and a BCD 996P2.
Both use BNC plugs for antenna input. I have the P2 connected to a
antenna on 60ft tower Discone. I would like to connect the Pro197 to
this same antenna on my tower. Right now i have the pro197 using just
the basic antenna that came with it.. I know it is a splitter that I
need. But thats all I can remember. Is it a two way bnc splitter a rhree
way splitter. I cant remember what I need to order on Amazon. Am a 100
percent disabled veteran and been in CBS and scanners since the mid 60s
but for the life of me I am lost. Both scanners are within 3 feet of
each other. I know i am going to need a jumper cable its the plug I need
that is diving me nuts brothers. Thank you so much and will try not to
bother you again. Randy

Virus-free. www.avg.com

Joe M.

This is one of those areas that is very
confusing to even the sharpest minds - gender.

Since the scanner will have a BNC Female on it, I would say you need a BNC male to male jumper. IOW, a jumper with a male on both ends.

Not saying you are wrong - just saying there are two ways to look at terminology - what the jumper IS and what it CONNECTS TO.

The pics you provided should make the setup clear.

Then you can add jack/plug into the mix...
(jack is female and plug is male)

Joe M.

On 1/12/2021 2:46 PM, Forrest wrote:

Ideally, the splitter would have three male BNC connectors on it: one
for the input from your outdoor antenna and two outputs, one for each
scanner. So you will need two jumpers cables, BNC female to BNC female
to connect each scanner to the output side of the splitter. I’m
assuming that your outdoor lead from the antenna terminates as a female
BNC and that both scanners have BNC male connections at the back.

To avoid having two jumper cables, this is another option where you
connect the splitter box directly to the back of one of your scanners
and it includes some photos:

https://www.scannermaster.com/SP_1300_Combiner_Splitter_p/24-531025.htm

Best to you and thank for your service. I’m also a veteran hitting 70
this year (I hope) and have been around scanning since I was a mid
teenager, so well over 50 years.

Hope that helps,
Forrest

On Jan 12, 2021, at 1:14 PM, Randy Thomas <thomasrandylee@hotmail.com
<mailto:thomasrandylee@hotmail.com>> wrote:

early stages of Dementia. I have two scanners a pro 197 and a BCD
996P2. Both use BNC plugs for antenna input. I have the P2 connected
to a antenna on 60ft tower Discone. I would like to connect the Pro197
to this same antenna on my tower. Right now i have the pro197 using
just the basic antenna that came with it.. I know it is a splitter
that I need. But thats all I can remember. Is it a two way bnc
splitter a rhree way splitter. I cant remember what I need to order on
Amazon. Am a 100 percent disabled veteran and been in CBS and scanners
since the mid 60s but for the life of me I am lost. Both scanners are
within 3 feet of each other. I know i am going to need a jumper cable
its the plug I need that is diving me nuts brothers. Thank you so much
and will try not to bother you again. Randy

Virus-free. www.avg.com

Scott, KB3JQQ

I use BNC T connectors in my set up, but the towers are
close and the signals quite strong. Try it. If you were
close, I'd give you a few. Old ethernet used to use them,
so I have over 20 left in a box.

On 2021-01-12 14:42, David Pilon via groups.io wrote:
Randy,

A BNC tee connector should work for you.  A tee usually has two male BNCs on the ends with a female BNC in the middle. You can basically daisy-chain your two scanners to the antenna. Just connect the antenna to one of the male BNCs on the tee, the first scanner to the female BNC, and connect a jumper going to the second scanner to the other BNC.

There will be slight reduction in RF signal delivered to both radios with this setup, but in real world terms, it shouldn’t be noticeable.

Dave K8DTP 

Forrest

Thank you. I don’t deal with them a lot and flipped male and female, think that, well the protruding part would be called ‘male’. This could get interesting. It’s a bad time to throw out confusing information to you, Randy. My bad.

The protruding connector on the back of your 996 is female.

Forrest

On Jan 12, 2021, at 1:54 PM, Joe M. <mch@nb.net> wrote:

Since the scanner will have a BNC Female on it, I would say you need a BNC male to male jumper. IOW, a jumper with a male on both ends.

Not saying you are wrong - just saying there are two ways to look at terminology - what the jumper IS and what it CONNECTS TO.

Joe M.

Hope that helps,
Forrest

Virus-free. www.avg.com

Joe M.

You're correct about the "protruding part", but the criteria is not
the connector as a whole but at the center. The Male has the pin.

But this is something that will most likely
not be made more clear in my lifetime.

And I didn't even mention reverse polarity before...

Joe M.

On 1/12/2021 4:12 PM, Forrest wrote:
Thank you. I don’t deal with them a lot and flipped male and female, think that, well the protruding part would be called ‘male’. This could get interesting. It’s a bad time to throw out confusing information to you, Randy. My bad.

Forrest

Joe M.

Hope that helps,
Forrest

Virus-free. www.avg.com

Forrest

Old Motorola plugs (or even PL-259’s for that matter) were considerably less ambiguous, but then so were a lot of things in olden times.

Forrest

On Jan 12, 2021, at 3:42 PM, Joe M. <mch@nb.net> wrote:

You're correct about the "protruding part", but the criteria is not
the connector as a whole but at the center. The Male has the pin.

But this is something that will most likely
not be made more clear in my lifetime.

And I didn't even mention reverse polarity before...

Joe M.

On 1/12/2021 4:12 PM, Forrest wrote:

Forrest

Joe M.

Hope that helps,
Forrest

Virus-free. www.avg.com

Randy Thomas

Thank you Forrext and everyone  who answered my call for help. It was somewhat embarrassing  to ask this question whe. I knew in my heart I knew the answer but just can't  remember. Everyone tha k you so much. I do know i have friends here I can count on. Happy new ye a r.

Randy

-------- Original message --------
Date: 1/12/21 2:49 PM (GMT-05:00)
To: "main@scanner.groups.io" <main@Scanner.groups.io>
Subject: Re: [Scanner] FCC Updates Weekending 01/09/2021

Ideally, the splitter would have three male BNC connectors on it: one for the input from your outdoor antenna and two outputs, one for each scanner.  So you will need two jumpers cables, BNC female to BNC female to connect each scanner to the output side of the splitter.  I’m assuming that your outdoor lead from the antenna terminates as a female BNC and that both scanners have BNC male connections at the back.

To avoid having two jumper cables, this is another option where you connect the splitter box directly to the back of one of your scanners and it includes some photos:

Best to you and thank for your service.  I’m also a veteran hitting 70 this year (I hope) and have been around scanning since I was a mid teenager, so well over 50 years.

Hope that helps,
Forrest

On Jan 12, 2021, at 1:14 PM, Randy Thomas <thomasrandylee@...> wrote:

Randy Thomas

Thank you to Dave i appre I've it.

Date: 1/12/21 2:47 PM (GMT-05:00)
To: main@scanner.groups.io

Randy,

Dave K8DTP 

Randy Thomas

Jeff  y golly I recognize those. Brought a smile when I saw those two.
Thanks you everbody. You are all great people

To: main@Scanner.groups.io

Randy Thomas

I want to thank everybody.  I recognized the pictures you sent from Amazon and the wife said my face lit up. So I truly recognized them once i saw them. I am trying to connect both scanners before my condition worsens and I can't remember much. Thank you so much brothers and sisters you truly made my happy. My wife is at our laptop ordering now. I have no 800 freqs in my area and i live on mountain of 1,000 ft so all signals are strong plus i have some kind of amp in my lmr400 feedline just cant remember  what name is.. God bless you all.
Randy

Mark Mitchell

Whatever you do try to make as few splices as possible to avoid signal loss.

On Tue, Jan 12, 2021, 9:40 PM Randy Thomas <thomasrandylee@...> wrote:
Thank you to Dave i appre I've it.

From: "David Pilon via groups.io" <pilondav=yahoo.com@groups.io>

Randy,

A BNC tee connector should work for you.  A tee usually has two male BNCs on the ends with a female BNC in the middle. You can basically daisy-chain your two scanners to the antenna. Just connect the antenna to one of the male BNCs on the tee, the first scanner to the female BNC, and connect a jumper going to the second scanner to the other BNC.

Dave K8DTP