Topics

Good Windows SDR app?

Evan Platt

Anyone have a good all around scanning app for Windows for an SDR?
I've seen a few that will do trunking, but they require a ton of extra
working - compiling some apps, creating a DLL, etc. Anything good out
there ready to go?

Thanks :)

Joe M.

SDR# with one of the scanning plugins is good for conventional.

DSDPlus is good for trunking.

They both require setup, but not much more than a scanner does.

Joe M.

On 6/6/2020 2:05 PM, Evan Platt wrote:
Anyone have a good all around scanning app for Windows for an SDR?
I've seen a few that will do trunking, but they require a ton of extra
working - compiling some apps, creating a DLL, etc. Anything good out
there ready to go?

Thanks :)

Evan Platt

Is there one with a GUI? One where I can save systems / banks - sort
of like a scanner? I downloaded one - I'll have to try to remember
which one, which had a really nice interface, a feed from RR Database
for impor, etc, but required a ton of extra work to decode P25 (mainly
on Windows).

On Sat, Jun 6, 2020 at 12:19 PM Joe M. <mch@...> wrote:

SDR# with one of the scanning plugins is good for conventional.

DSDPlus is good for trunking.

They both require setup, but not much more than a scanner does.

Joe M.

On 6/6/2020 2:05 PM, Evan Platt wrote:
Anyone have a good all around scanning app for Windows for an SDR?
I've seen a few that will do trunking, but they require a ton of extra
working - compiling some apps, creating a DLL, etc. Anything good out
there ready to go?

Thanks :)

Joe M.

Both I mentioned have GUIs. In the plugin I use, you can save groups.

A nice plugin is the FastScanner. It works
great for scanning the entire MilAir band.

DSDPlus decodes P25 with no extra work.
It also decodes/trunks NXDN, DMR, and other formats.

Joe M.

On 6/6/2020 3:24 PM, Evan Platt wrote:
[...]

I guess I should mention the other SDR setup I use. It has a front-panel interface and software programming with full scanner function support - remote control, too! I have a portable model and a base/mobile. They are the Uniden SDS100 and SDS200.

You likely won't find a more complete scanner-like SDR setup.

Joe M.

On 6/6/2020 3:34 PM, Joe M. wrote:
[...]

Yeah I have a 536 and a 100. :) The app I found was SDR Trunk. Really
nice app, but a pain to get p25 working. :(

On 6/6/2020 3:34 PM, Joe M. wrote:
[...]

Radiotronic Gizmo

I am confused. SDR is Software Defined Radio. Not a software interface to a scanner - which most of us use I have 5 screens running at once controlling my uniden and TRX-2 scanners.

While I was working at Harris Corp (I retired 2 years ago) a bunch of us were playing with kinds SDR using a usb plugin the Chinese were selling to receive TV on you computer.
We bought those to use as an RF front end and took the IQ baseband and used SDR software to decode the spectrum and pick out channels of interest.
That was also used on the EDACS system (Built by Harris) - to have one channel decode the contoller and another radio taking tuning commands to follow a logical channel.

But it is easier to buy a scanner - I have 8 unidens and two TRX-2s . but a software frontend to a whole scanner is NOT an SDR.

I am sure you can google it and find something maybe Wikipedia.

On 6/6/2020 3:34 PM, Joe M. wrote:
[...]

Mark French

What software are you using for the TRX ?

Radiotronic Gizmo

Whistler  TRX-2 Beta   download from their site.  Not quite as good butel  I use for unidens, but pretty good

What software are you using for the TRX ?

Joe M.

Yes, I know. Perhaps you don't know the SDS series scanners are SDR-centric. I am sure you can Google it and find something maybe Wikipedia. Currently the only such models are the SDS100 and SDS200.

I am not talking about just a software scanner interface (although those two models have that, too).

Joe M.

On 6/6/2020 3:34 PM, Joe M. wrote:
[...]

jnelson_lifesaver

I would second that. I  have used Butel  software for all  of my scanners for 20 years and was really disappointed Butel was not allowed to provide software for the TRX 1 or 2. I think the  Butel software is a better product but sometimes you have to go with what's available....

--
Jim Nelson
N0LBH

Radiotronic Gizmo

Oh, I forgot to mention, I have a SDS200 because of what is inside it.

On 6/6/2020 3:34 PM, Joe M. wrote:
[...]

"Sometimes"? When is there a choice otherwise? :-)

Joe M.

On 6/7/2020 1:43 AM, jnelson_lifesaver wrote:
but sometimes you have to go with what's available....

--
Jim Nelson
N0LBH

Joe M.

Perhaps what we should be distinguishing here is receivers that are IQ-based. After all, any synthesized receiver could be defined as "software defined".

This would distinguish SDRs and the SDS series from other receivers.

There are some AOR models that are IQ based,
too. None of those will trunk, though.

Joe M.

On 6/6/2020 3:34 PM, Joe M. wrote:
[...]

I worked at E-Systems from 1980 -1997 then Harris corp 1997-2008 EE
We worked on building (successfully delivered to customer) in the 80s an SDR
During the 80s I worked for 6 years at an overseas site where the 20MHZ B/W
Of baseband collections was directly input to a super computer and software
Was used to be as SDR. The RF 'End' was 22,000 miles above.

When looking at Wikipedia last night, I was somewhat surprised to see myself there
Under 'History' the first paragraph is wrong -- wrong company and the name they used was used incorrectly (like most Wikipedia articles)

But it surprised me to see me in their description of E-Systems, and then again in Harris.

An SDR is a software defined Radio. NO hardware in your shack. We are getting close to that.
They refer to "thousands of adaptive filter taps" which was high school speak that for filtering at the IF stage
An FIR (Finite Input Response -- look that up in wikipedia) was always used - implemented by racks of hardware board (all wire wrapped).
1024 taps was as much as we had in the 80s -- but it was good enough that I too a 20 MHz band width and defined filter weights
So the operators suddenly see their spectrum analyzers slowly decrease energy until a middle finger was displayed. I thought it was fun - luckily I replaced it with a better shape
Filter fairly quickly.

SDR should be used for a radio in you house that is COMPLETELY software.

These front end gadgets that control your hardware scanner is no where close - it is a program that spits out bytes to your radio and receives them and displays
The data on your computer screen and formatted to look like a scanner - it is doing NO RADIO processing at all.
So calling that an SDR is right out.

When the dongle 'craze' was out around 2000s - plugged into a USB it gave you a 3 MHz b/w which was input to your computer and software was used to cruise through
That bandwidth looking for coherent channels (listen to the noise over and over looking for signals that A) where always present at the at the same frequency with no
Modulation --- i.e. hetrodynes or carriers, and discard them , then look for signals that had amplitude at a certain frequency but at a different SNR over time (Deemed a modulated signal).
Randomized bits were dropped on the floor - so you ended up with a pretty decent radio that got rid of the all the crap found in the spectrum.
The point of the radio moving close and closer to the antenna is almost upon us hobbyists - my Yeasu FTdx5000 has essentially the 1024 FIR we used in the 80s. in a chip
Rather than a room full of racks. But that is used in the IF. The RF frontend is still the same as it was in the 70s --- front end filter, amp, filter, mix, then feed the IF to the DSP.

I think if you want an acronym for the computer screens that control the scanners, other than SDR should be used = as I outlined what an SDR is.
All modulated rf signals have I/Q and the usage of such for radios marketed is to imply that the IF is digitally decoded and another 'inside' radio for the control channel
Is not being used to tune the scanner, however it is all being done at onece.

If you have some hardware between your computer and your antenna - it is NOT SDR.

A lot of EEs and SWEs have spent their lifetimes or careers trying to build SDRs.

On 6/6/2020 3:34 PM, Joe M. wrote:
[...]

Joe Polcari

HDSDR is good too.

From: <main@Scanner.groups.io> on behalf of "Joe M." <mch@...>
Date: Saturday, June 6, 2020 at 3:19 PM
To: <main@Scanner.groups.io>

SDR# with one of the scanning plugins is good for conventional.

DSDPlus is good for trunking.

They both require setup, but not much more than a scanner does.

Joe M.

On 6/6/2020 2:05 PM, Evan Platt wrote:

Anyone have a good all around scanning app for Windows for an SDR?

I've seen a few that will do trunking, but they require a ton of extra

working - compiling some apps, creating a DLL, etc. Anything good out

there ready to go?

Thanks :)

jeff

linux anybody?

I tried 1 or 2 and they were rough to get going, years back.
(Using the $20 dongle)

Tracy Lane

Check out Unitrunker too. :)