Thomas Luce

Follow-up. Anyone in southern California have a working analog hand held scanner they don't need or want? Thanks for the consideration.

Scott, KB3JQQ

On 2020-06-23 16:35, Thomas Luce via groups.io wrote:
Follow-up. Anyone in southern California have a working analog hand held scanner they don't need or want? Thanks for the consideration.
You can always get one of these:
refurb:
https://whistlergroup.com/collections/refurbished-items/products/refurbished-ws1010-handheld-scanner-radio
new:
https://whistlergroup.com/collections/scanner-radios/products/ws1010

jnelson_lifesaver

The Uniden BC125AT is another good analog radio. I use it for aircraft and railroads. It does receive the military air band as well for airshows.

--
Jim Nelson
N0LBH

stereobuff_2000

I live in Texas.  But I have a pro97 I can sell.  It works but needs a squelch knob replacement

On Tue, Jun 23, 2020 at 6:18 PM, Scott, KB3JQQ via groups.io
On 2020-06-23 16:35, Thomas Luce via groups.io wrote:
> Follow-up. Anyone in southern California have a working analog hand
> held scanner they don't need or want? Thanks for the consideration.

You can always get one of these:
refurb:
https://whistlergroup.com/collections/refurbished-items/products/refurbished-ws1010-handheld-scanner-radio
new:
https://whistlergroup.com/collections/scanner-radios/products/ws1010

Ken Hansen

+1 for buying the Whistler refurbished scanner - I bought the table-top version for around $50 and find it to be a great value. The Dallas PD & FD use analog FM, I'm near DFW & Love Field airports, and there are a ton of 2m & 440 Ham repeaters within 'Discone Range' so the little scanner has lots of things to capture.

The downside is manual programming, but honestly it is trivial to program, since all you do is enter the frequency, no tones, no talk groups, just the frequency.

I put each service on its own 'memory bank', and I can lock-out anything I'm not interested by simply pushing one button (ten banks, labeled 0-9, tied to the digits on the keypad).

I believe/expect the handheld scanner operates the same.

My scanner looked good as new, in a new box, full accessories. I know there are better scanners (I have a better scanner), but to listen in on FM or air band traffic, it's a great deal.

Hope that was helpful,

Ken

On Jun 23, 2020, at 18:18, Scott, KB3JQQ via groups.io <kb3jqq=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:

You can always get one of these:
refurb:
https://whistlergroup.com/collections/refurbished-items/products/refurbished-ws1010-handheld-scanner-radio
new:
https://whistlergroup.com/collections/scanner-radios/products/ws1010

Thomas Luce

I'm looking for a basic scanner to take to LAX airport to watch and listen to the ATC frequencies. Smaller the better.

Rob P

Check out the Icom R6 or used Icom R5.
A great little radio that is very tiny but powerful.
It also has the 200 MHz band for military listening.

-Rob

On Jun 25, 2020, at 11:22 AM, Thomas Luce via groups.io <toml242001@...> wrote:

I'm looking for a basic scanner to take to LAX airport to watch and listen to the ATC frequencies. Smaller the better.

jeff

Yaesu FT3DR or FT60R or FT2DR
Just don't xmit.

https://www.hamradio.com/search_category.cfm

Uniden Bearcat 125AT - scanner

A boatload of stuff on ebay, making sure it covers air

Find air freqs
https://wiki.radioreference.com/index.php/Finding_Air_Traffic_Frequencies

On 6/25/20 11:32 AM, Rob P wrote:
Check out the Icom R6 or used Icom R5.
A great little radio that is very tiny but powerful.
It also has the 200 MHz band for military listening.

Rich

Try to find a little Radio Shack Pro 83. Perfect little scanner

On 2020-06-25 13:45, Rich wrote:
Try to find a little Radio Shack Pro 83. Perfect little scanner
Or the Pro-84. Same scanner in a red NASCAR case.
Got one for $30 when they cleared them out. There
is also a Uniden version. They made it in the first place.

Rich

If you get Pro 84. Make sure you make a Pit Stop and put on Fresh Tires. Little NASCAR humor. Good Luck. Hope you find a nice little radio.

On 2020-06-25 13:45, Rich wrote:
Try to find a little Radio Shack Pro 83. Perfect little scanner
Or the Pro-84. Same scanner in a red NASCAR case.
Got one for $30 when they cleared them out. There
is also a Uniden version. They made it in the first place.

David Chapman

The Icom's are nice - and expensive (relatively). If you were a ham I would suggest a Yaesu FT-60. Covers everything you need, transmits and is built to take punishment. If you are not a ham (or aspiring ham), I would go for the Uniden BC125AT. I have both, but the Uniden is a great little analog scanner. Air (inc. 220 MHz), ham, FRS/GMRS, marine, etc. It has you covered.

n6jwh

I have a pair of FT-65s, which are nice as well..
John n6jwh

On Fri, Jun 26, 2020 at 12:48, David Chapman via groups.io
<d_s_chapman@...> wrote:
The Icom's are nice - and expensive (relatively). If you were a ham I would suggest a Yaesu FT-60. Covers everything you need, transmits and is built to take punishment. If you are not a ham (or aspiring ham), I would go for the Uniden BC125AT. I have both, but the Uniden is a great little analog scanner. Air (inc. 220 MHz), ham, FRS/GMRS, marine, etc. It has you covered.

Ken Hansen

The FT-65 lacks the extremely wideband receiver of the FT-60

<d_s_chapman@...> wrote:
The Icom's are nice - and expensive (relatively). If you were a ham I would suggest a Yaesu FT-60. Covers everything you need, transmits and is built to take punishment. If you are not a ham (or aspiring ham), I would go for the Uniden BC125AT. I have both, but the Uniden is a great little analog scanner. Air (inc. 220 MHz), ham, FRS/GMRS, marine, etc. It has you covered.

Thomas Luce

Looks like I'm heading for a Uniden BC125. All the others mentioned are really fine scanners or receivers. I can't decide on a new or used model from EBAY or a new one from Bearcat Warehouse. Considering its limited future use I'm trying to get it or another reliable model at low cost from a source with impeccable credentials.

Hank Lambert

I work at an airport and use the BC125 for all airport/aircraft comms. It's a great little scanner!

73,

--Hank

KB4MTO / TA5ZC

---

On 2020-06-27 02:26, Thomas Luce via groups.io wrote:

Looks like I'm heading for a Uniden BC125. All the others mentioned are really fine scanners or receivers. I can't decide on a new or used model from EBAY or a new one from Bearcat Warehouse. Considering its limited future use I'm trying to get it or another reliable model at low cost from a source with impeccable credentials.
_._,_._,_

Rich

Go the EBAY route. You save a lot of money

On Jun 27, 2020, at 13:06, Rich <Blammms@...> wrote:

Go the EBAY route. You save a lot of money

if you do be very picky about the seller.  i deal only with sellers that have hundreds of sales and a minimum 95% approval rating.

Rich via iPad

On Jun 27, 2020, at 1:26 AM, Thomas Luce via groups.io <toml242001@...> wrote:

Looks like I'm heading for a Uniden BC125. All the others mentioned are really fine scanners or receivers. I can't decide on a new or used model from EBAY or a new one from Bearcat Warehouse. Considering its limited future use I'm trying to get it or another reliable model at low cost from a source with impeccable credentials.

Thomas Luce

Why are so many sellers on EBAY asking for inflated premium pricing on the Uniden 125? Many with no accessories.