Topics

LTR question (& Open Sky)

Bill Edwards

Regarding our discussion of Open Sky systems - three comments / questions:

1. The Aurora/Naperville, Illinois, Open Sky system, covering the 2nd & 3rd most populous cities in the state, is still going strong. They did have problems in the beginning, but seemed to iron them out.  Maybe it will be the last man standing.

2. What ever happened to the Milwaukee system?  It was problem-plagued for years, but don't know if they replaced it. Or is it a candidate for last man standing?

3. Of all the horror stories I heard over the years, the Pennsylvania debacle seemed the worst; whereas Oakland County, Michigan, seemed problem-free - and more reliable than the MPSCS P-25 implementation in neighboring Detroit.

This was a bummer as a scannist because I was there often and found that there wasn't much to hear in Oakland county itself and the Detroit system is surprisingly tightly focused within the city limits. It has decent signal strength in the city, but rapidly becomes unmonitorable when only a few miles out of town.

Bill E.

Eddie Silva

The City of Milwaukee Open Sky system is still in use. They have tuned the audio to a point where it now sounds ok. They have added additional remote receive sites throughout the city. As of this time, they are going to continue to use this system for the foreseeable future.

On Jun 3, 2020, at 11:31 AM, Bill Edwards <firemann57@...> wrote:

[...]

Dennis

Regarding the Detroit system, when Detroit joined the MPSCS (statewide system) it used towers from the old system and used or replaced antennas that would direct the signal into the city thus poor reception outside the city.  Remains the same today.

Dennis

Jeff Kenyon

When I was living in Grosse Pointe, and in some cases just a few blocks from the boarder of Detroit on Mack and Moross listening to that was a nightmare with the Pro-96.  I have no idea if and when I end up going back there, but I’d like to see how the BCD436HP does.  Here in Rochester, New York I listen to our county simulcast TRS and it works great.

On Jun 3, 2020, at 7:26 PM, Dennis <scsscanner@...> wrote:

Regarding the Detroit system, when Detroit joined the MPSCS (statewide system) it used towers from the old system and used or replaced antennas that would direct the signal into the city thus poor reception outside the city.  Remains the same today.

Dennis

Septa3371CSX1

Most newer systems are designed to contain the signal in the intended coverage area. This sounds like how the Detroit simulcast on the MPSCS is setup.

Joe Butler

Sent from AOL Mobile Mail

On Wednesday, June 3, 2020 Dennis <main@Scanner.groups.io> wrote:

Regarding the Detroit system, when Detroit joined the MPSCS (statewide system) it used towers from the old system and used or replaced antennas that would direct the signal into the city thus poor reception outside the city.  Remains the same today.

Dennis

Jeff Kenyon

When I replied to this thread a while ago I forgot to mention that when that all went on line I would go DownTown all the time to volunteer and brought a long my Pro-96 and the results were similar to what I was hearing at home.  The nearest site for the Detroit MPSCS is at Denby High School, and I at first thought this wouldn’t be a problem.  However, the first day it came on I was at my grandmother’s house on Moross and I had to precisely point the radio, or else is wouldn’t do so well.