Topics

Missouri programming

Mark Mitchell

Is there someone on the line that's around the springfield Greene county Missouri area that can get me up to speed on programming the bcd+396xt with the MOSWIN system?
I've tried many thing's but it just doesn't seem to work for me or the radio.
I have a 25/30' outside antenna and even that seems to only be as good as the 800 MHz antennas I can swap out.
Any help would be appreciated.

Mark

John Mayson

There are 700, 800, and VHF state systems in Greene. I don't see any locals using it, but I'm sure the state does.

On Sat, Dec 26, 2020, 18:21 Mark Mitchell <mdmitchell65@...> wrote:
Is there someone on the line that's around the springfield Greene county Missouri area that can get me up to speed on programming the bcd+396xt with the MOSWIN system?
I've tried many thing's but it just doesn't seem to work for me or the radio.
I have a 25/30' outside antenna and even that seems to only be as good as the 800 MHz antennas I can swap out.
Any help would be appreciated.

Mark

John Mayson

Are they on the state system?  It looks like Greene has its own.

On Sat, Dec 26, 2020, 18:21 Mark Mitchell <mdmitchell65@...> wrote:
Is there someone on the line that's around the springfield Greene county Missouri area that can get me up to speed on programming the bcd+396xt with the MOSWIN system?
I've tried many thing's but it just doesn't seem to work for me or the radio.
I have a 25/30' outside antenna and even that seems to only be as good as the 800 MHz antennas I can swap out.
Any help would be appreciated.

Mark

Steve Kapp

RR has MOSWIN as a P25 Phase 2 system and it looks like the BCD396XT will only do P25 Phase 1. Would like someone else to confirm. But if I'm correct, the BCD396XT cannot receive MOSWIN. You would need to purchase a newer scanner that does Phase 2, such as the SDS100 handheld or SDS200 base.

Steve

On Saturday, December 26, 2020, 08:07:58 PM EST, John Mayson <john@...> wrote:

There are 700, 800, and VHF state systems in Greene. I don't see any locals using it, but I'm sure the state does.

On Sat, Dec 26, 2020, 18:21 Mark Mitchell <mdmitchell65@...> wrote:
Is there someone on the line that's around the springfield Greene county Missouri area that can get me up to speed on programming the bcd+396xt with the MOSWIN system?
I've tried many thing's but it just doesn't seem to work for me or the radio.
I have a 25/30' outside antenna and even that seems to only be as good as the 800 MHz antennas I can swap out.
Any help would be appreciated.

Mark

Steve Kapp

I took a closer look at the RR entry and while the system is listed as a P25 Phase 2 system, there are notes indicating that they are operating as a Phase 1 system.  So don't break open that piggy bank yet. I think someone who actually is familiar with receiving MOSWIN should advise.If they are doing Phase 1 statewide you should be in luck. Now I'm really curious about this one. It is a statewide system and possibly all locales need to upgrade their radios to pull the Phase 2 switch.

Steve

On Saturday, December 26, 2020, 08:47:38 PM EST, Steve Kapp <skapp@...> wrote:

[...]

John Ukena

MOSWIN is not a phase 2 system,  only phase 1.

On Sat, Dec 26, 2020, 7:47 PM Steve Kapp <skapp@...> wrote:
[...]

Septa3371CSX1

Just about all newer P25 systems are Phase 2 capable. Whether or not they use Phase 2 depends on several factors including the subscriber radios being employed.

Joe Butler

On Saturday, December 26, 2020 Steve Kapp <main@Scanner.groups.io> wrote:

[...]

There is no phase 2 on the MOSWIN system, the sites are all phase 1. Make sure to double check the cc frequency and make sure it didn't change.

John Ukena

If you would like some help for southwest missouri there is a scanner group on facebook, Joplin Area Scanner Buffs, that is very helpful.  Wally Bloss is the administrator for it.

Mark Mitchell

Thanks John for the heads up on Wally, sadly tho I gave up FB some months ago as there is too much drama on it and I had a personal incident I rather not go into details about.
Yes there are the springfield Greene county TRS system that the city owns and the police fire and county use it also some of the surrounding towns.
MOSWIN on the other hand is controlled by the State.
Also yes the springfield 700 tower changed the CC recently because of another site going up or being turned on... before that I was able to hear the St. Clair transport coming to Greene county to do prisoner pick-ups also stone county was coming in really well.
Springfield on the other hand I feel could have been more active I was picking up East and South Dispatch and weekends the helo for traffic stops and occasionally a car to car chat.
I saw this 800 frequency that was posted not much to go on but I do get a sid: 01CEh-0401 and if it is active it's as quiet as a church mouse I put it in as a p25 std
Sorry I'm so long-winded.

Mark

On Sat, Dec 26, 2020, 9:34 PM John Ukena <djukena@...> wrote:
If you would like some help for southwest missouri there is a scanner group on facebook, Joplin Area Scanner Buffs, that is very helpful.  Wally Bloss is the administrator for it.

Mark Mitchell

Oh yes I forgot to mention that they rarely used the VHF although they still have it in case of emergency.

On Sun, Dec 27, 2020, 12:29 AM Mark Mitchell via groups.io <mdmitchell65=gmail.com@groups.io> wrote:
[...]

Scott, KB3JQQ

On 2020-12-26 21:15, Septa3371CSX1 via groups.io wrote:

Just about all newer P25 systems are Phase 2 capable. Whether or not they use Phase 2 depends on several factors including the subscriber radios being employed.

Joe Butler
As finances allow, I've been buying TRX-2 scanners.
My state has a P2 system, and I've seen our county
officers talk to the state officers on their system. My
radio did not switch to DG from D2 when they talked,
this means that as the radios age out, the new stuff is
P2 capable. As the site transmitters age, they will be
replaced with P2 stuff, until one day, there is nothing
stopping the system from switching over. There may
be some county agencies using P1 radios, but being
able to double your density overnight has got to be
attractive to the departments.

This is the same reason I believe DMR will win out in the amateur world.
It's cheap and carries 2 conversations on one narrow 12.5 voice channel.

Mark Mitchell

We have some surrounding areas that incorporate DMR but just south of us in Christian county they use mototorbo+ to use as tac and private conversation with another radio capable of calling the MOSWIN system.
I would love to save my pennies and get a P2 system but I been scanning some radio shack put out the 4ch Chrystal radios and I've spent a small fortune on them since I had a pro-96 jacked from my console when I was moving and haven't seen hide nor hair of it since and as a matter of fact as much as we spend you would think these would be registered like commercial ones and when it's sent to service your would be notified so the perp could be caught. But it's not and we're on our own if it becomes misplaced.
Thanks for listening to me rant.

Mark

On 2020-12-26 21:15, Septa3371CSX1 via groups.io wrote:

> Just about all newer P25 systems are Phase 2 capable. Whether or not
> they use Phase 2 depends on several factors including the subscriber
> radios being employed.
>
> Joe Butler

As finances allow, I've been buying TRX-2 scanners.
My state has a P2 system, and I've seen our county
officers talk to the state officers on their system. My
radio did not switch to DG from D2 when they talked,
this means that as the radios age out, the new stuff is
P2 capable. As the site transmitters age, they will be
replaced with P2 stuff, until one day, there is nothing
stopping the system from switching over. There may
be some county agencies using P1 radios, but being
able to double your density overnight has got to be
attractive to the departments.

This is the same reason I believe DMR will win out in the amateur world.
It's cheap and carries 2 conversations on one narrow 12.5 voice channel.

Forrest

I replied in email format, but it didn't seem to 'take', so here goes from the website (please pardon if this gets duplicated):  I've recently moved into the Springfield/Greene Co area and I'm struggling to figure it all out.  I'm an old analog guy, so the trunking doesn't come easy to me.  I have an SDS100, so it gives me a decent kickstart, but I always want to know more.  I've been in RR for a long while, but a lot of it seems confusing as well as far as how things are structured and how best to listen.

I have plenty of antennas, but my lodgings are temporary and I'm not able to do anything at the moment except the Remtronix aftermarket on the radio, but it seems to do well.  Of course, you don't know what you're missing if you don't hear it.

I'll keep a watch on this thread and any others relating to MO.  Thanks for any advice, but I realize I'm rambling and not actually asking a defined question....sorry about that.  FWIW, I'm on the south side of SPFLD, south of Republic.

Forrest

Hi Mark….I’ve just moved to the Greene Co area and I’m trying to figure out how to listen here.  I have some things programmed, but it’s hard to get a handle on exactly what’s going on in spite of people’s efforts in RadioReference.  My hardware should be fine (SDS100), but that doesn’t guarantee success if you don’t really know what you’re doing.  If you know of any other resources specific to the Springfield and nearby areas, I’d appreciate any info.

Forrest

On 2020-12-26 21:15, Septa3371CSX1 via groups.io wrote:

> Just about all newer P25 systems are Phase 2 capable. Whether or not
> they use Phase 2 depends on several factors including the subscriber
> radios being employed.
>
> Joe Butler

As finances allow, I've been buying TRX-2 scanners.
My state has a P2 system, and I've seen our county
officers talk to the state officers on their system. My
radio did not switch to DG from D2 when they talked,
this means that as the radios age out, the new stuff is
P2 capable. As the site transmitters age, they will be
replaced with P2 stuff, until one day, there is nothing
stopping the system from switching over. There may
be some county agencies using P1 radios, but being
able to double your density overnight has got to be
attractive to the departments.

This is the same reason I believe DMR will win out in the amateur world.
It's cheap and carries 2 conversations on one narrow 12.5 voice channel.

rob can yah

join scannerschool.com
Cannot go wrong.

Robert cansler
Tell them I sent you

You can find them on YouTube also
Scannerschool

On 2020-12-26 21:15, Septa3371CSX1 via groups.io wrote:

> Just about all newer P25 systems are Phase 2 capable. Whether or not
> they use Phase 2 depends on several factors including the subscriber
> radios being employed.
>
> Joe Butler

As finances allow, I've been buying TRX-2 scanners.
My state has a P2 system, and I've seen our county
officers talk to the state officers on their system. My
radio did not switch to DG from D2 when they talked,
this means that as the radios age out, the new stuff is
P2 capable. As the site transmitters age, they will be
replaced with P2 stuff, until one day, there is nothing
stopping the system from switching over. There may
be some county agencies using P1 radios, but being
able to double your density overnight has got to be
attractive to the departments.

This is the same reason I believe DMR will win out in the amateur world.
It's cheap and carries 2 conversations on one narrow 12.5 voice channel.

Ken Hansen

Mark,

I don't think any digital mode will 'win out' the amateur world anytime soon.

A large majority of hams regard digital modes, when repeaters require internet access to use most features/benefits, as not really ham radio. Also, I don't think the VHF/UHF bands (2 meters and 70 cm primarily) are anywhere near in need of increased density.

How many unused analog repeaters do they need to put on the air? The ability to double that number after replacing most analog repeaters is not really high on most clubs to-do list in my opinion.

/rant

Ken

On Jan 16, 2021, at 01:54, Mark Mitchell <mdmitchell65@gmail.com> wrote:

This is the same reason I believe DMR will win out in the amateur world.
It's cheap and carries 2 conversations on one narrow 12.5 voice channel.

Joe M.

I think you're both right. I think no mode will replace all others, and I believe DMR will dominate the others unless some other mode comes out that is even more popular. But of the current modes I believe DMR will dominate.

Why do I believe none of the others will be replaced? Look at how many PS agencies are still using Motorola Type I, VSELP, and Open Sky. All those should be dead by now but there are some holdouts.

Joe M.

On 1/16/2021 9:26 PM, Ken Hansen wrote:
Mark,

I don't think any digital mode will 'win out' the amateur world anytime soon.

A large majority of hams regard digital modes, when repeaters require internet access to use most features/benefits, as not really ham radio. Also, I don't think the VHF/UHF bands (2 meters and 70 cm primarily) are anywhere near in need of increased density.

How many unused analog repeaters do they need to put on the air? The ability to double that number after replacing most analog repeaters is not really high on most clubs to-do list in my opinion.

/rant

Ken

On Jan 16, 2021, at 01:54, Mark Mitchell <mdmitchell65@gmail.com> wrote:

This is the same reason I believe DMR will win out in the amateur world.
It's cheap and carries 2 conversations on one narrow 12.5 voice channel.

Phil Kane

On 1/16/2021 6:26 PM, Ken Hansen wrote:

I don't think any digital mode will 'win out' the amateur world
anytime soon.
I beg to differ. HF Digital (the JT series, RTTY in many flavors, and
VARA-FM) are rapidly overtaking "conventional" HF hamming. I check in to digital VHF nets several times a day.
A large majority of hams regard digital modes, when repeaters require
internet access to use most features/benefits, as not really ham
radio.
"Large majority'? Not to the vast number of hams that I associate and communicate with. I've been licensed since 1952. That should make me a "real ham", no?

How many unused analog repeaters do they need to put on the air? The
ability to double that number after replacing most analog repeaters
is not really high on most clubs to-do list in my opinion.
As the trustee of a club repeater (and the "shadow" trustee of another) I agree that they need to be used more. What we are finding is that as time goes on replacement parts (and the techs experienced in operating and repairing them) are getting harder and harder to find. We just had to replace the power amp on a club's UHF repeater and it cost more than the entire repeater did when it was brand new "back when".

My professional experience is in Public Safety radio systems, and almost all of our major clients have made the transition to digital systems. Why should amateur radio be "second class citizens"?

And let us not forget that the reason that we lost the use of 220-222 MHz was that there was no activity on that sub-band and other interests were able to grab it away when we weren't looking. That is another story that I know the real facts of - for another time.

Even with HF, I'm a member of the Maritime Radio Historical Society that has preserved and operates the last commercial maritime HF Morse station (KPH / KFS / KSM) but all other HF commercial operations worldwide have gone to digital formats. Time marches on.

Preservation is good, but amateur radio needs to keep up with the times.

73 de K2ASP - Phil Kane

Member, Washington County, OR
Emergency Communications Team
ARES/RACES AEC for Regulatory Compliance

Forrest

I think there are numerous caveats unsaid.

In my experience, in my locale and in the UHF bands, DMR dominates other digital voice modes. And I’m also aware that many have said the use of ‘hotspots’ and all use of the internet as a go between makes it seem less like ‘real radio’ and can or will be problematic when the internet is ‘down’ either locally or widespread. Of course the radios can be used directly, but isn’t really the attraction for many using DMR. YMMV.

Forrest