Topics

rail roads

Brad Ko6kL

Iv got a pretty good list of rail road voice frequencys i can send a CSV file.
One I need is the end of train beacon box , anyone have that ?
Ko6kL

Glenn Wright N1GAW

Funny you should ask. Scanner Guys just did a show on trains last night and that was one of the things discussed. I think they called them "Fred" boxes. The front freq was 452.9375 and the end of the train was 457.9375.

Hope that's what you are looking for.

On Thu, Jun 18, 2020, 10:59 AM Brad Ko6kL via groups.io <jhill_81=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:
Iv got a pretty good list of rail road voice frequencys i can send a CSV file.
One I need is the end of train beacon box , anyone have that ?
Ko6kL

Phil Kane

On 6/18/2020 8:03 AM, Glenn Wright N1GAW wrote:

Funny you should ask. Scanner Guys just did a show on trains last night
and that was one of the things discussed. I think they called them
"Fred" boxes. The front freq was 452.9375 and the end of the train was
457.9375.
FRED was a nickname for "Flashing Rear End Device", but many crews
replaced "Flashing" with another word starting with "F". The official
name for this device is "End of Train Device" (EOTD). This is
discussed at times in the RailScan group on groups.io.

Phil Kane - Beaverton, OR
PNWR CP Hall MP 29.9 - OE District
railfan@...

vh2

End of Train Device (ETD), sometimes referred to as an EOT, Flashing Rear-End Device (FRED) or Sense and Braking Unit (SBU). https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/End-of-train_device

Funny you should ask. Scanner Guys just did a show on trains last night and that was one of the things discussed. I think they called them "Fred" boxes. The front freq was 452.9375 and the end of the train was 457.9375.

Hope that's what you are looking for.

On Thu, Jun 18, 2020, 10:59 AM Brad Ko6kL via groups.io <jhill_81=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:

Iv got a pretty good list of rail road voice frequencys i can send a CSV file.

One I need is the end of train beacon box , anyone have that ?

Ko6kL

jeff

On 6/18/20 11:03 AM, Glenn Wright N1GAW wrote:
Funny you should ask. Scanner Guys just did a show on trains last night and that was one of the things discussed. I think they called them "Fred" boxes. The front freq was 452.9375 and the end of the train was 457.9375.
back when I was more active, they were 160MHz and down.

Daniel Morisseau

On 6/18/2020 9:54 AM, Phil Kane wrote:
On 6/18/2020 8:03 AM, Glenn Wright N1GAW wrote:

Funny you should ask. Scanner Guys just did a show on trains last night
and that was one of the things discussed. I think they called them
"Fred" boxes. The front freq was 452.9375 and the end of the train was
457.9375.
FRED was a nickname for "Flashing Rear End Device", but many crews
replaced "Flashing" with another word starting with "F". The official
name for this device is "End of Train Device" (EOTD). This is
discussed at times in the RailScan group on groups.io.

Phil Kane - Beaverton, OR
PNWR CP Hall MP 29.9 - OE District
railfan@...
    And the device on the head end (locomotive) is often referred to as "Mary". Fred and Mary "are still a pair" every day. ;-)

--
Just a poor hardscrabble Missouri farm boy living on a fixed income and trying to make some sense out of this crazy West Coast lifestyle ...

https://www.avg.com

jnelson_lifesaver

Flashing Read End Device = FRED

Jim Nelson
N0LBH
See my photos at www.flickr.com/mojaveflyer

On 6/18/2020 10:28 AM, jeff wrote:

back when I was more active, they were 160MHz and down.
EOTD systems never were on the VHF frequencies, only on the UHF pairs
that are in use today. (I did some testing and evaluating of them for
the Southern Pacific RR in the late 1980s.)

Phil Kane - Beaverton, OR K2ASP
PNWR CP Hall MP 29.9 - OE District
railfan [at] kanafi.org

Richard Carlson

Southern Railway had EOT's on 161.115 before and shortly after the NS merger. These used standard DTMF tones. The CNW had a run-thru coal train that often had SR locos and EOT's so we heard them in the Chicago area often.

On 6/18/2020 11:12 AM, Daniel Morisseau wrote:

And the device on the head end (locomotive) is often referred to as
"Mary". Fred and Mary "are still a pair" every day. ;-)
Those of us "of a certain generation" used to refer to it as ETHEL -
recalling Fred and Ethel Mertz, the sidekicks of Ricky and Lucy Ricardo
in the "I Love Lucy" TV series of long ago.

On 6/19/2020 8:29 AM, Richard Carlson wrote:

Southern Railway had EOT's on 161.115 before and shortly after the NS
merger.
The BNSF tried them and ATCS on 160 MHz channels for a while as well,
but they were the odd-balls in the industry and eventually were phased
out as new equipment was needed. As I understand it, one problem was
the necessity to swap them out on run-throughs. That always took a
carman if the engine crews were also being swapped out.

Phil Kane - Beaverton, OR K2ASP
PNWR CP Hall MP 29.9 - OE District
railfan [at] kanafi.org

Richard Carlson

True enough. The final straw was the Conrail takeover, NS then had incompatible systems within their railroad so joined the rest of the club and went to 457.9375 and the same protocols as the others.

On Fri, Jun 19, 2020 at 8:56 AM Phil Kane <k2asp@...> wrote:
On 6/19/2020 8:29 AM, Richard Carlson wrote:

> Southern Railway had EOT's on 161.115 before and shortly after the NS
> merger.

The BNSF tried them and ATCS on 160 MHz channels for a while as well,
but they were the odd-balls in the industry and eventually were phased
out as new equipment was needed.  As I understand it, one problem was
the necessity to swap them out on run-throughs. That always took a
carman if the engine crews were also being swapped out.

Phil Kane - Beaverton, OR   K2ASP
PNWR CP Hall MP 29.9 - OE District
railfan [at] kanafi.org

jeff

I have 159.9 to about 161.5

Could it be a different system? I definitely heard it there.

Thanks.

From https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/End-of-train_device: The ETD transmits data via a telemetry link to the Head-of-Train Device (HTD) in the locomotive, known colloquially among railroaders as a "Wilma," a play on the first name of the wife of cartoon character Fred Flintstone.

On 6/19/2020 8:31 AM, jeff wrote:

I have 159.9 to about 161.5

Could it be a different system?  I definitely heard it there.
The "standard" AAR channels' center frequencies run from 160.215 MHz to
161.565 MHz. At one time the Rock Island RR used 161.610 MHz but both
the railroad and that channel usage went away decades ago.

There are also several UHF frequency p[airs for HOTD/EOTD and DPU
control digital data channels and a group of 800 MHz frequencies for
ATCS data circuits.

Phil Kane - Beaverton, OR - K2ASP
PNWR CP Hall MP 29.9 - OE District

Phil Kane

On 6/19/2020 8:29 AM, vh2 wrote:

From https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/End-of-train_device: The ETD
transmits data via a telemetry link to the Head-of-Train Device (HTD) in
the locomotive, known colloquially among railroaders as a "Wilma," a
play on the first name of the wife of cartoon character Fred Flintstone.
See my earlier post about the HOTD being called "Ethel" from a TV series
decades before The Flintstones.

Phil Kane - Beaverton, OR - K2ASP
PNWR CP Hall MP 29.9 - OE District

Bill Edwards

Use of 161.610 MHz is alive and well in the Chicago area - on the Metra-Rock Island district from Joliet to Chicago.

Bill E.

Phil Kane

On 6/22/2020 7:11 AM, Bill Edwards wrote:

Use of 161.610 MHz is alive and well in the Chicago area - on the
Metra-Rock Island district from Joliet to Chicago.
So the Rock still lives! Isn't that great! Thanks for the correction.