Topics

Railroad Frequencies?

Gary

A month or two ago there was some discussion about railroad frequencies and that some railway companies are using NXDN. If my memory serves me right, and that could be questionable, someone mentioned that the railroad companies are beginning to use some UHF frequencies. If that is correct what are those frequencies? Thanks.

73,
Gary - W6GVS

Phil Kane

On 8/4/2020 5:30 AM, Gary wrote:

If my memory serves me right, and that could be questionable, someone
mentioned that the railroad companies are beginning to use some UHF
frequencies.  If that is correct what are those frequencies?
The rail industry has been using several pairs of UHF frequencies for
non-voice purposes - head end / rear end / DPU (mid-train helper
locomotives) remote control and data. No voice comms.

Phil Kane - Beaverton, OR K2ASP
PNWR CP Hall MP 29.9 - OE District

Gary

Thanks, Phil. Do you know what UHF frequencies they use? And what modes / protocols?

73,
Gary - W6GVS
Dowagiac, MI

At 03:34 PM 8/4/2020, you wrote:
On 8/4/2020 5:30 AM, Gary wrote:

If my memory serves me right, and that could be questionable, someone
mentioned that the railroad companies are beginning to use some UHF
frequencies. If that is correct what are those frequencies?Â

On 8/5/2020 5:37 AM, Gary wrote:

Thanks, Phil.  Do you know what UHF frequencies they use?  And what
modes / protocols?
Head-end transmit - 452.9375 MHz

Rear-end transmit - 457.9375 MHz

DPU receive - 452.925 MHz , 452.950 MHz

DPU transmit - 457.925 MHz , 457.950 MHz

Signals are low-power NBFM FSK 1200 baud data.

See: <https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ycsOzFyALSI>

Be careful around trains and stay safe.

Phil Kane - Beaverton, OR
PNWR CP Hall MP 29.9 - OE District