Topics

SBE Opti-Scan Programmable Cards?

Gary

I recently acquired a 70s SBE Opti-Scan scanner.  More for curiosity than functionality.  It came with a card in it that actually has two or three frequencies that are used to this day.  However they are for a county south of me.  The scanner appears to work okay but so far I haven't gotten any "hits".  Is there anyone out there in scannerland who have some of these programmable cards?

73,
Gary - W6GVS
Dowagiac, MI

Phil Kane

On 7/31/2020 2:08 PM, Gary wrote:

I recently acquired a 70s SBE Opti-Scan scanner.
Good grief, I haven't heard of that device in decades! Sorry, I never
had one but I do remember them. It's in the same historic class as the
Ultra scanner (1970s) that got around the Bearcat patents by using the
fourth harmonic of the crystals rather than the third harmonic (I was a
beta tester for them). Have fun in "memory lane". :)

73 de K2ASP - Phil Kane

Joe M.

A few possibilities:

1. The RX is blown (toss it).

2. The lamp is burned out (fix if it's cheap) / (This is the lamp that shines on the card I'm talking about)

3. If you get it working, cards have been NLA since the 80's (maybe 70's). Get a QSL card and mark the back as the OEM card is divided. Then either use a hole punch or but out squares that match the frequency. The manual should still be available to show the binary code.

The card trick is what I did until mine finally went kaput. It wasn't worth replacing when you can get keyboard programmable scanners a third the size with 20 times the channels.

Any squelch noise? Does the scan stop at all?

One thing I really liked about those are the amber lights. It was a nice change from the typical red LEDs.

Joe M.

On 7/31/2020 5:08 PM, Gary wrote:
I recently acquired a 70s SBE Opti-Scan scanner. More for curiosity
than functionality. It came with a card in it that actually has two or
three frequencies that are used to this day. However they are for a
county south of me. The scanner appears to work okay but so far I
haven't gotten any "hits". Is there anyone out there in scannerland who
have some of these programmable cards?

73,
Gary - W6GVS
Dowagiac, MI

<#DAB4FAD8-2DD7-40BB-A1B8-4E2AA1F9FDF2>

Gary

Yes, there is squelch noise. The scan doesn't stop but the telescopic antenna is probably not enough to pick up the frequencies from the county south of me. I'm going to try a more substantial antenna later. The frequencies are the FD / EMT dispatch and the EMT-to-ER frequency of 155.34. I'll have to check the card reader lamp(s). One fellow made a .pdf of the card which he said to copy onto heavy stock paper (construction paper?). Use a black felt marker to blacken the back side of the card, then punch out the frequencies. One fellow did mention that a big problem he had was finding a hole punch deep enough to reach the middle of the card. I have an original manual. This looks maybe like a winter project. I got the schematic from mods.dk with parts list and PCB layout drawings. I'm trying to make sense out of it..hi..hi. Thanks for the pointers.

73,
Gary - W6GVS

On 7/31/2020 5:08 PM, Gary wrote:
I recently acquired a 70s SBE Opti-Scan scanner. More for curiosity
than functionality. It came with a card in it that actually has two or
three frequencies that are used to this day. However they are for a
county south of me. The scanner appears to work okay but so far I
haven't gotten any "hits". Is there anyone out there in scannerland who
have some of these programmable cards?

73,
Gary - W6GVS
Dowagiac, MI

Jack Hendrickson

Here is a possible source of cards.

http://www.gcomradio.com/mods.html

On 7/31/2020 5:08 PM, Gary wrote:
I recently acquired a 70s SBE Opti-Scan scanner.  More for curiosity
than functionality.  It came with a card in it that actually has two or
three frequencies that are used to this day.  However they are for a
county south of me.  The scanner appears to work okay but so far I
haven't gotten any "hits".  Is there anyone out there in scannerland who
have some of these programmable cards?

73,
Gary - W6GVS
Dowagiac, MI

<#DAB4FAD8-2DD7-40BB-A1B8-4E2AA1F9FDF2>

Gary

Thanks. I've e-mailed them to see if they still have them.

73,
Gary

On 7/31/2020 5:08 PM, Gary wrote:
I recently acquired a 70s SBE Opti-Scan scanner. More for curiosity
than functionality. It came with a card in it that actually has two or
three frequencies that are used to this day. However they are for a
county south of me. The scanner appears to work okay but so far I
haven't gotten any "hits". Is there anyone out there in scannerland who
have some of these programmable cards?

73,
Gary - W6GVS
Dowagiac, MI

<#DAB4FAD8-2DD7-40BB-A1B8-4E2AA1F9FDF2>

thomas roth

Easy enough to make your own.....

There are a couple of card drawings online, or copy a card and glue to card stock..... needs to be dark/black to work tho....

$.02

Gary

Thanks for your $.02 , Thomas. Yes, that's probably the course I'll take. I've downloaded a .pdf file with the card image. I got a reply from G&G saying that they didn't currently have any of the cards in stock but they asked if I wanted to be on a notification list should they get some in.

73,
Gary - W6GVS
Dowagiac, MI