Topics

Small tiny stub antennas and AM aircraft frequenci

Dave Jeffries AF0DJ

Any telescoping antenna that covers those lengths allows you to "peak" it for best reception in the band of intrest at that particular time.

On Sun, Jun 28, 2020 at 21:31, Thomas Luce via groups.io
<toml242001@...> wrote:
Are the small tiny stub antennas a good match with the AM analog aircraft ATC Tower and business frequencies when the distance is less than a mile and unobstructed viewing at LAX Los Angeles? If so who makes a great one? Many thanks for the help.

Anthony Cardenas

OK...

Now this is a bucket of nails that requires a 'broad brush' to cover...

Know that "stubby antennas" (IN GENERAL) TRY to make up for antenna LENGTH you don't have and don't want to get in your way.  Of course the general guide is "longer is better" with antennas...

IMPORTANT:  You want a antenna that actually FITS your scanner antenna connector!  Please AVOID adapters because it reads like you want to be 'portable/mobile' and most adapters are quite vulnerable to damage... often it's your internal radio antenna jack that takes the hit, then fails "internally" and that's never good.

Actually, there are SEVERAL 'business bands' and you didn't specify which one you plan to target?

From your vague description please consider this eBay option:

TWO Diamond SRH805S "SMA-F" For Baofeng is a GREAT choice IF it fits!  eBay: 303401207394 about $6 from a USA seller!
  • Frequency: 144/430MHz 136-174MHz+400-520MHz
  • (THEY CLAIM)  Gain: 2.15/3.0 dbi (sure it is)...
Remember, NO adapters!  Ye have been warned.

A.

Thomas Luce

I'm strongly considering the Uniden 125 hand held scanner and the business frequencies I'm interested in is the airline frequencies for the terminals and other facilities at LAX, as listed in Radioreference, as they could be of interest from a observation park on the South side of the airport.
Plus, the normal Tower and Ground frequencies. The Uniden is great as for its size and if its best to use the rubber duck antenna in the box then so be it.
None of the frequencies I'm looking at are DMR or other exotic codes.

vh2

Given that a real one is nearly five times the price of what this seller wants for two, it’s a knockoff: https://www.amazon.com/Diamond-Original-SRH805S-Tri-Band-Handheld/dp/B00AR0A77E

Vince N2JRS

Now this is a bucket of nails that requires a 'broad brush' to cover...

Know that "stubby antennas" (IN GENERAL) TRY to make up for antenna LENGTH you don't have and don't want to get in your way.  Of course the general guide is "longer is better" with antennas...

IMPORTANT:  You want a antenna that actually FITS your scanner antenna connector!  Please AVOID adapters because it reads like you want to be 'portable/mobile' and most adapters are quite vulnerable to damage... often it's your internal radio antenna jack that takes the hit, then fails "internally" and that's never good.

Actually, there are SEVERAL 'business bands' and you didn't specify which one you plan to target?

From your vague description please consider this eBay option:

TWO Diamond SRH805S "SMA-F" For Baofeng is a GREAT choice IF it fits!  eBay: 303401207394 about $6 from a USA seller!

  • Frequency: 144/430MHz 136-174MHz+400-520MHz
  • (THEY CLAIM)  Gain: 2.15/3.0 dbi (sure it is)...

Remember, NO adapters!  Ye have been warned.

A.

Ken Hansen

Thomas,

To distill your question down to its basic elements, you have. Uniden 125 scanner, it ships with a short, general application antenna, and you are interested in airband activity. Your typical use is at the edge of the airport property, essentially line-of-sight to all the transmitting towers around the airport.

To answer your last question first, the included "short" antenna should be fine.

As for a "stubby" antenna, without a specific model to compare it to a "short" or "full-length" antenna, I think it would likely be OK, but not be as good a performer as the included "short" antenna, and since you already have the "short" antenna, why are you considering a "stubby" antenna? For convenience? If that is the case, I suspect a "stubby" antenna will perform adequately At the airport's edge, but be certain it at least covers bands close to those you are interested in (108-174 MHz). For RX, anything close is good - just be sure and avoid UHF-specific stubby Antenna's, they are designed for use around 450 MHz, thats too far from your frequencies of interest to be useful.

Hope this helps,

Ken

On Jun 29, 2020, at 1:03 AM, Thomas Luce via groups.io <toml242001=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:

I'm strongly considering the Uniden 125 hand held scanner and the business frequencies I'm interested in is the airline frequencies for the terminals and other facilities at LAX, as listed in Radioreference, as they could be of interest from a observation park on the South side of the airport.
Plus, the normal Tower and Ground frequencies. The Uniden is great as for its size and if its best to use the rubber duck antenna in the box then so be it.
None of the frequencies I'm looking at are DMR or other exotic codes.

Thomas Luce

Outstanding reply Ken. The wisdom for a stub antenna is simply space; handling binoculars and a scanner at the same time. I certainly can handle the rubber duck antenna in the box but if a smaller antenna does just as good then I certainly hope to be told. I want the scanner to be invisible.

Phil Kane

On 6/29/2020 5:07 PM, Thomas Luce via groups.io wrote:

want the scanner to be invisible.
Quite often I put my scanner (Uniden BC72XLT - NASCAR Special) in my hip
pocket when I'm wandering about on the railroad as to not draw any more
attention than I do anyhow. My TRX-1 is a bit larger but then again my
jeans have big pockets.

Phil Kane - Beaverton, OR - K2ASP
PNWR CP Hall MP 29.9 - OE District