Topics

Southern California Trunked systems

Thomas Luce

I live in Southern California and listen to many frequencies, including the South Bay P-25 Trunked Fire Departments with a Uniden BCD996T scanner. The trunked coverage with that scanner is outstanding!. Lots of Base/Mobile communications.
My question is there other trunked systems in So-Cal with a good diet of  interesting non encrypted communications?
Does anyone listen to the County of Orange trunked system for their County and City fire departments? If so, does the range extend up into the Los Angeles area?
Thanks for the consideration and updates.

Willard Young

Hello Thomas and fellow scanner nuts, I'm here in OC and can fill you in a bit. Fire is now encrypted. There was so many complaints from news media and many others that they have been convinced to remove encryption. This is taking a LONG time. Still waiting. In the meantime they are feeding all traffic to Broadcastify. This is a great service for all of us. Listen to traffic all over the place on your computer. A scanner nuts dream come true!! When OC comes back you should be able to hear them in most of LA. I use a small yagi to hear LAPD from Huntington Beach. Digital seems to require a stronger signal. a yagi for 860 mhz is small. But 800 requires low loss coax. Guessing you already know that.

73 and good scanning!

 Will KJ6JKA

On Sat, Jul 11, 2020 at 7:04 PM Thomas Luce via groups.io <toml242001=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:
I live in Southern California and listen to many frequencies, including the South Bay P-25 Trunked Fire Departments with a Uniden BCD996T scanner. The trunked coverage with that scanner is outstanding!. Lots of Base/Mobile communications.
My question is there other trunked systems in So-Cal with a good diet of  interesting non encrypted communications?
Does anyone listen to the County of Orange trunked system for their County and City fire departments? If so, does the range extend up into the Los Angeles area?
Thanks for the consideration and updates.

Joe Polcari

Digital seems to require a stronger signal

Uh-huh

From: <main@Scanner.groups.io> on behalf of Willard Young <kj6jka@...>
Date: Wednesday, July 15, 2020 at 4:21 PM
To: <main@scanner.groups.io>
Subject: Re: [Scanner] Southern California Trunked systems

[...]

Jeff Kenyon

So Orange County Fire will soon be back in the clear then?  What about law enforcement?  Are their other success stories where people and the media have put up such an objection to where things are back in the clear?  I know that in Michigan Taylor PD was all encrypted at one time, but are now back in the clear.

On Jul 15, 2020, at 4:21 PM, Willard Young <kj6jka@...> wrote:

[...]

I was under the impression that all of Orange County fire (County and city) removed all encryption last year, about 7-8 months ago. Every fire vehicle  in Orange County should be  nonencrypted as of today, and if they are not, what the heck is the  delay!?

Jeff Kenyon

Interesting you mention all of this.  I check the radioreference database with the encrypted agencies, and I know that law enforcement in Orange is encrypted, but there has never been any mention of fire.  When I checked the other day I think EMS was mentioned as being encrypted.

On Jul 15, 2020, at 6:28 PM, Thomas Luce via groups.io <toml242001@...> wrote:

I was under the impression that all of Orange County fire (County and city) removed all encryption last year, about 7-8 months ago. Every fire vehicle  in Orange County should be  nonencrypted as of today, and if they are not, what the heck is the  delay!?

Willard Young

Just checked the scanner. Still encrypted. Takes a lot to maintain comms and re-program every radio. Most likely no chance of OC law enforcement making that change.

On Wed, Jul 15, 2020 at 3:28 PM Thomas Luce via groups.io <toml242001=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:
I was under the impression that all of Orange County fire (County and city) removed all encryption last year, about 7-8 months ago. Every fire vehicle  in Orange County should be  nonencrypted as of today, and if they are not, what the heck is the  delay!?

Willard Young

I see what you mean. Very strange. I know a Garden Grove police officer. I'll text him and see what he has to say. We have talked about how important it is to be encrypted for officer safety.

On Thu, Jul 16, 2020 at 1:03 AM Willard Young via groups.io <kj6jka=gmail.com@groups.io> wrote:
Just checked the scanner. Still encrypted. Takes a lot to maintain comms and re-program every radio. Most likely no chance of OC law enforcement making that change.

On Wed, Jul 15, 2020 at 3:28 PM Thomas Luce via groups.io <toml242001=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:
I was under the impression that all of Orange County fire (County and city) removed all encryption last year, about 7-8 months ago. Every fire vehicle  in Orange County should be  nonencrypted as of today, and if they are not, what the heck is the  delay!?

Thomas Luce

I understand it takes time to reprogram every radio in every City and County fire vehicle but this started last Summer and something just doesn't sound right.