Topics

Timming problems


"Bill Black"
 

Gentlemen,

I am using a laptop to load freqs. in ( Pro 92, Pro 96 scanners).. The laptop is using Win 10 , I have the correct cables, using Win 92 , Win 96 scanner software By Starsoft,
I get a timing error message and ,it stops downloading / uploading. Not sure if its my laptop or scanners.

Any questions, comments, concerns.

Mr. Bill


jnelson_lifesaver
 

Make sure the Comm Port in the computer is seeing the radio. I'm not familiar with this software (I use Butel). If it's the first time you've linked to the radio it may need to be adjusted.  


On Thu, Apr 9, 2020 at 11:11 AM "Bill Black" <bablack4@...> wrote:
Gentlemen,

I am using a laptop to load freqs. in (  Pro 92, Pro 96 scanners).. The laptop is using Win 10 , I have the correct cables, using Win 92 , Win 96 scanner software By Starsoft,
I get a timing error message and  ,it stops downloading / uploading. Not sure if its my laptop or scanners.

Any questions, comments, concerns.

Mr. Bill





--
Jim Nelson
N0LBH
(Click on 'Albums' to see catagories of photos)


Jeffrey Bear
 

Anyone on here know what the frequencies for BNSF when they are out hooking up cars and switching them. and the frequency or frequencies they use to talk to the engineer to pull forward back up and couple the cars together ect. ? 




On Thursday, April 9, 2020, 11:45 AM, jnelson_lifesaver <jnelson.lifesaver@...> wrote:

Make sure the Comm Port in the computer is seeing the radio. I'm not familiar with this software (I use Butel). If it's the first time you've linked to the radio it may need to be adjusted.  

On Thu, Apr 9, 2020 at 11:11 AM "Bill Black" <bablack4@...> wrote:
Gentlemen,

I am using a laptop to load freqs. in (  Pro 92, Pro 96 scanners).. The laptop is using Win 10 , I have the correct cables, using Win 92 , Win 96 scanner software By Starsoft,
I get a timing error message and  ,it stops downloading / uploading. Not sure if its my laptop or scanners.

Any questions, comments, concerns.

Mr. Bill





--
Jim Nelson
N0LBH
(Click on 'Albums' to see catagories of photos)


bobsayers2000
 

Not sure what that has to do with timing problems (is it really too hard to start a new thread?) , but you need to understand that this group is international. The majority of readers will not have the slightest clue what you are talking about. 

Bob
UK



Need to define a location? Ask for a What3Words address!
https://what3words.com



On Thu, 9 Apr 2020 at 19:22, Jeffrey Bear via groups.io
<emtbls1987@...> wrote:
Anyone on here know what the frequencies for BNSF when they are out hooking up cars and switching them. and the frequency or frequencies they use to talk to the engineer to pull forward back up and couple the cars together ect. ? 




On Thursday, April 9, 2020, 11:45 AM, jnelson_lifesaver <jnelson.lifesaver@...> wrote:

Make sure the Comm Port in the computer is seeing the radio. I'm not familiar with this software (I use Butel). If it's the first time you've linked to the radio it may need to be adjusted.  

On Thu, Apr 9, 2020 at 11:11 AM "Bill Black" <bablack4@...> wrote:
Gentlemen,

I am using a laptop to load freqs. in (  Pro 92, Pro 96 scanners).. The laptop is using Win 10 , I have the correct cables, using Win 92 , Win 96 scanner software By Starsoft,
I get a timing error message and  ,it stops downloading / uploading. Not sure if its my laptop or scanners.

Any questions, comments, concerns.

Mr. Bill





--
Jim Nelson
N0LBH
(Click on 'Albums' to see catagories of photos)


Scott, KB3JQQ
 

I've had trouble with trying to use com ports
numbered higher then 4. See if you can adjust
your port in device manager to be 1 to 4.

On Thursday, April 9, 2020, 1:11:31 PM EDT, Bill Black <bablack4@...> wrote:


Gentlemen,

I am using a laptop to load freqs. in (  Pro 92, Pro 96 scanners).. The laptop is using Win 10 , I have the correct cables, using Win 92 , Win 96 scanner software By Starsoft,
I get a timing error message and  ,it stops downloading / uploading. Not sure if its my laptop or scanners.

Any questions, comments, concerns.

Mr. Bill



"Bill Black"
 

Ok, thanks. 


On Thu, Apr 9, 2020, 3:20 PM Scott, KB3JQQ <kb3jqq@...> wrote:
I've had trouble with trying to use com ports
numbered higher then 4. See if you can adjust
your port in device manager to be 1 to 4.

On Thursday, April 9, 2020, 1:11:31 PM EDT, Bill Black <bablack4@...> wrote:


Gentlemen,

I am using a laptop to load freqs. in (  Pro 92, Pro 96 scanners).. The laptop is using Win 10 , I have the correct cables, using Win 92 , Win 96 scanner software By Starsoft,
I get a timing error message and  ,it stops downloading / uploading. Not sure if its my laptop or scanners.

Any questions, comments, concerns.

Mr. Bill



Steve Kapp
 

Could be flow control setting of serial port on PC. Not at PC now to ascertain exact location, but setting should be able to be accessed via Device Manager. If memory serves well, available settings are None, Hardware and Software. If this is your issue then I would guess that it's set to None or the wrong setting of the remaining two.

Steve Kapp

On Thu, Apr 9, 2020 at 3:52 PM, Scott, KB3JQQ via groups.io
<kb3jqq@...> wrote:
I've had trouble with trying to use com ports
numbered higher then 4. See if you can adjust
your port in device manager to be 1 to 4.

On Thursday, April 9, 2020, 1:11:31 PM EDT, Bill Black <bablack4@...> wrote:


Gentlemen,

I am using a laptop to load freqs. in (  Pro 92, Pro 96 scanners).. The laptop is using Win 10 , I have the correct cables, using Win 92 , Win 96 scanner software By Starsoft,
I get a timing error message and  ,it stops downloading / uploading. Not sure if its my laptop or scanners.

Any questions, comments, concerns.

Mr. Bill



David Pilon
 

Flow control should be set to “none” for all of the referenced scanners. Also 8 data bits, no parity check, 1 stop bit. I think the correct baud rate is 9600 but I’m not totally sure.

Also, don’t use the stereo-to-mono adapter that comes with the Radio Shack serial cable with these scanners. The serial cable stereo plug should plug into the scanner directly. Otherwise it won’t work.

Dave K8DTP 

Clear eyes, full hearts, can't lose.

On Apr 9, 2020, at 4:04 PM, Steve Kapp <skapp@...> wrote:

Could be flow control setting of serial port on PC. Not at PC now to ascertain exact location, but setting should be able to be accessed via Device Manager. If memory serves well, available settings are None, Hardware and Software. If this is your issue then I would guess that it's set to None or the wrong setting of the remaining two.

Steve Kapp
AK4GW


On Thu, Apr 9, 2020 at 3:52 PM, Scott, KB3JQQ via groups.io
<kb3jqq@...> wrote:
I've had trouble with trying to use com ports
numbered higher then 4. See if you can adjust
your port in device manager to be 1 to 4.

On Thursday, April 9, 2020, 1:11:31 PM EDT, Bill Black <bablack4@...> wrote:


Gentlemen,

I am using a laptop to load freqs. in (  Pro 92, Pro 96 scanners).. The laptop is using Win 10 , I have the correct cables, using Win 92 , Win 96 scanner software By Starsoft,
I get a timing error message and  ,it stops downloading / uploading. Not sure if its my laptop or scanners.

Any questions, comments, concerns.

Mr. Bill



Tracy Lane
 

The yard frequencies are the ones you want.

On April 9, 2020 at 11:19 AM "Jeffrey Bear via groups.io" <emtbls1987@...> wrote:

Anyone on here know what the frequencies for BNSF when they are out hooking up cars and switching them. and the frequency or frequencies they use to talk to the engineer to pull forward back up and couple the cars together ect. ? 




On Thursday, April 9, 2020, 11:45 AM, jnelson_lifesaver <jnelson.lifesaver@...> wrote:

Make sure the Comm Port in the computer is seeing the radio. I'm not familiar with this software (I use Butel). If it's the first time you've linked to the radio it may need to be adjusted.  

On Thu, Apr 9, 2020 at 11:11 AM "Bill Black" < bablack4@...> wrote:
Gentlemen,

I am using a laptop to load freqs. in (  Pro 92, Pro 96 scanners).. The laptop is using Win 10 , I have the correct cables, using Win 92 , Win 96 scanner software By Starsoft,
I get a timing error message and  ,it stops downloading / uploading. Not sure if its my laptop or scanners.

Any questions, comments, concerns.

Mr. Bill





--
Jim Nelson
N0LBH
(Click on 'Albums' to see catagories of photos)

 


jeff
 

On 4/9/20 10:40 AM, "Bill Black" wrote:
I am using a laptop to load freqs. in ( Pro 92, Pro 96 scanners).. The laptop is using Win 10 , I have the correct cables, using Win 92 , Win 96 scanner software By Starsoft,
I get a timing error message and ,it stops downloading / uploading. Not sure if its my laptop or scanners.
I would like to replace a bulky W7 machine with a laptop.
Laptop runs linux, which has zero software, so will run W7 in a virtual machine. VMs have very few serial/usb ports.

Any ideas, or stay with the bulky W7, with lots of added serial cards?


Thanks.


"Bill Black"
 

Gents,

I get my cables from a company called Whistler Inc. in Ark.

Mr. Bill


Scott, KB3JQQ
 

Why serial ports? The USB cable works fine.
Just make sure it gets a port number from 1 to 4.

I have programmed both a PRO-84 and my Pro-96 using the
old mono plug serial cable and a USB>serial adapter.

The PRO-106 needs the USB with the stereo plug.
The '96 works without the stereo>mono adapter
with the USB cable.

You should be able to run the software in 10.
You may have to run it as administrator.

On Friday, April 10, 2020, 1:02:09 PM EDT, jeff <jeffv@...> wrote:


On 4/9/20 10:40 AM, "Bill Black" wrote:
> I am using a laptop to load freqs. in (  Pro 92, Pro 96 scanners).. The laptop is using Win 10 , I have the correct cables, using Win 92 , Win 96 scanner software By Starsoft,
> I get a timing error message and  ,it stops downloading / uploading. Not sure if its my laptop or scanners.

I would like to replace a bulky W7 machine with a laptop.
Laptop runs linux, which has zero software, so will run W7 in a virtual
machine. VMs have very few serial/usb ports.

Any ideas, or stay with the bulky W7, with lots of added serial cards?


Thanks.




Radiotronic Gizmo
 

In the past I have bought sever 'digi/IO" USB to serial converters. They made a 4 port box and an 8 port one. I have used them on win 7 and win10 -- one usb port and you create a map to COMn - COM3 or COM7.

Never had a problem with them. I think they were made originally to service the Point of Sales Entry where the cash drawer had a serial port, the register a serial port, the barcode scanner, a serial port etc., and rather than drag
Multiple cables back to one machine, you just run one USB2.0 cable to a box with 4 or 8 RS-232 ports on it. They have a model with 488, too.

Here is an ebay link to one; https://www.ebay.com/itm/Digi-Edgeport-301-1016-01-USB-to-4-Port-Rs-232-Serial-DB25/303457792798?epid=2148500791&hash=item46a77e731e:g:wL0AAOSw4tVeKaBV:sc:USPSPriority!32907!US!-1 AND one more that is very overpriced here: https://www.ebay.com/itm/Digi-Edgeport-8-USB-to-8-Port-RS-232-Serial-Adapter-Converter-301-1002-08/303462706326?epid=1682366211&hash=item46a7c96c96:g:GjUAAOSwkBteZ5A~:sc:USPSPriority!32907!US!-1
But I should say I bought several of these for $35 each and the 4port jobbers for about that (30 or under) all on ebay -- I have seen the prices go up and down like that over the years.

I still have one 8 porter connected to my mess to handle that many rs-232 devices still hanging on.

You would only have to map one USB to your Windows VM to get 4 or 8 RS-232 ports.

R

-----Original Message-----
From: main@Scanner.groups.io <main@Scanner.groups.io> On Behalf Of jeff
Sent: Friday, April 10, 2020 8:35 AM
To: main@Scanner.groups.io
Subject: Re: [Scanner] Timming problems

On 4/9/20 10:40 AM, "Bill Black" wrote:
I am using a laptop to load freqs. in ( Pro 92, Pro 96 scanners)..
The laptop is using Win 10 , I have the correct cables, using Win 92 , Win 96 scanner software By Starsoft, I get a timing error message and ,it stops downloading / uploading. Not sure if its my laptop or scanners.
I would like to replace a bulky W7 machine with a laptop.
Laptop runs linux, which has zero software, so will run W7 in a virtual machine. VMs have very few serial/usb ports.

Any ideas, or stay with the bulky W7, with lots of added serial cards?


Thanks.


Suzanne Lockett
 

timing not timming

----- Original Message -----
From: ""Bill Black"" <bablack4@gmail.com>
To: <main@Scanner.groups.io>
Sent: Thursday, April 09, 2020 9:40 AM
Subject: [Scanner] Timming problems


Gentlemen,

I am using a laptop to load freqs. in ( Pro 92, Pro 96 scanners).. The laptop is using Win 10 , I have the correct cables, using Win 92 , Win 96 scanner software By Starsoft,
I get a timing error message and ,it stops downloading / uploading. Not sure if its my laptop or scanners.

Any questions, comments, concerns.

Mr. Bill


George
 

There are several options in WIN92 you can try.  Under Configuration->Serial the only box I have checked is "Enable readback tests".  But you could certainly try having "Extra write time" and the combinations.



On Saturday, May 30, 2020, 04:40:51 PM PDT, Suzanne Lockett <suzannelockett@...> wrote:


timing not timming
----- Original Message -----
From: ""Bill Black"" <bablack4@...>
Sent: Thursday, April 09, 2020 9:40 AM
Subject: [Scanner] Timming problems


Gentlemen,

I am using a laptop to load freqs. in (  Pro 92, Pro 96 scanners).. The
laptop is using Win 10 , I have the correct cables, using Win 92 , Win 96
scanner software By Starsoft,
I get a timing error message and  ,it stops downloading / uploading. Not
sure if its my laptop or scanners.

Any questions, comments, concerns.

Mr. Bill







Scott, KB3JQQ
 

On 2020-05-30 19:16, Suzanne Lockett wrote:

Gentlemen,

I am using a laptop to load freqs. in (  Pro 92, Pro 96 scanners).. The laptop is using Win 10 , I have the correct cables, using Win 92 , Win 96 scanner software By Starsoft,
I get a timing error message and  ,it stops downloading / uploading. Not sure if its my laptop or scanners.

Any questions, comments, concerns.

Mr. Bill
I find it works better if you use com 1 to 4.