Topics

Tone Burst on Police Freq.

Roy Englund

Living in Portland, Oregon, using a grecom

From the time that the riots started there has been a small tone burst on all the 700 &  800 Frequencies in the portland area.    Anyone know what this is?

Thannks

Joe M.

Do you have a recording of it?

Joe M.

On 6/3/2020 2:36 PM, Roy Englund via groups.io wrote:
Living in Portland, Oregon, using a grecom

From the time that the riots started there has been a small tone burst
on all the 700 & 800 Frequencies in the portland area. Anyone know
what this is?

Thannks

<#DAB4FAD8-2DD7-40BB-A1B8-4E2AA1F9FDF2>

Chris Parris

The Portland Police have been going fully encrypted when the rioting started. I have been listening with a Uniden and have just heard the small burst of encrypted voice when the scanner moves on. I have not heard any beeps.

- Chris

On Jun 3, 2020, at 11:36 AM, Roy Englund via groups.io <renglund2=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:

Living in Portland, Oregon, using a grecom

From the time that the riots started there has been a small tone burst on all the 700 & 800 Frequencies in the portland area. Anyone know what this is?

Thannks

Joe M.

Maybe it is the voice bits that are being described as 'beeps'.

Joe M.

On 6/3/2020 4:48 PM, Chris Parris wrote:
The Portland Police have been going fully encrypted when the rioting started. I have been listening with a Uniden and have just heard the small burst of encrypted voice when the scanner moves on. I have not heard any beeps.

- Chris

On Jun 3, 2020, at 11:36 AM, Roy Englund via groups.io <renglund2=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:

Living in Portland, Oregon, using a grecom

From the time that the riots started there has been a small tone burst on all the 700 & 800 Frequencies in the portland area. Anyone know what this is?

Thannks

vh2

Like these? https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MDC-1200

Vince

Living in Portland, Oregon, using a grecom

From the time that the riots started there has been a small tone burst on all the 700 &  800 Frequencies in the portland area.    Anyone know what this is?

Thannks

Roy Englund

Here is the recording.  It seems that all area’s (N. E, NE, Central,   They are all off line.   Even when I log on to the internet scanner, it too is just playing the tone.     MCSO and detectives are still on line

On Wednesday, June 3, 2020, 1:49 PM, Chris Parris <cparris2@...> wrote:

The Portland Police have been going fully encrypted when the rioting started. I have been listening with a Uniden and have just heard the small burst of encrypted voice when the scanner moves on. I have not heard any beeps.

- Chris

> On Jun 3, 2020, at 11:36 AM, Roy Englund via groups.io <renglund2=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:
>
> Living in Portland, Oregon, using a grecom
>
> From the time that the riots started there has been a small tone burst on all the 700 &  800 Frequencies in the portland area.    Anyone know what this is?
>

> Thannks

Joe M.

Is there an alert in your scanner set?

What model GRE is it?

I think in some models you could set a tone for encrypted audio, and they have always just stayed on encrypted channels until the activity was over, but if yours is starting to scan again...

Joe M.

<https://overview.mail.yahoo.com/?.src=iOS>

<renglund2=yahoo.com@groups.io <mailto:yahoo.com@groups.io>> wrote:

> Living in Portland, Oregon, using a grecom
>
> From the time that the riots started there has been a small tone
burst on all the 700 & 800 Frequencies in the portland area.
Anyone know what this is?

> Thannks

<#DAB4FAD8-2DD7-40BB-A1B8-4E2AA1F9FDF2>

Chris Parris

OK - I am also hearing those tones on the Central and East Dispatch talk group.

It appears those are the “Channel Closed” beeps and all the traffic has moved to the Central and East TAC talk groups, which are encrypted.

- Chris

wrote:

The Portland Police have been going fully encrypted when the rioting
started. I have been listening with a Uniden and have just heard the
small burst of encrypted voice when the scanner moves on. I have not
heard any beeps.

- Chris

> On Jun 3, 2020, at 11:36 AM, Roy Englund via groups.io
<renglund2=yahoo.com@groups.io <mailto:yahoo.com@groups.io>> wrote:

> Living in Portland, Oregon, using a grecom
>
> From the time that the riots started there has been a small tone
burst on all the 700 & 800 Frequencies in the portland area.
Anyone know what this is?

> Thannks

<#DAB4FAD8-2DD7-40BB-A1B8-4E2AA1F9FDF2>

KA9QJG

With  what’s  going on all over All departments still using the old Dependable analog systems   should use the MDC ID  it lets the Dispatch and others  know who they are even if they do not get a chance to  say anything in an Emergency .  It will much harder  for the people doing the jamming to program up a Radio with the Digital  format to key up a system . Of course  they could  duplicate it, I will not go into  how that’s done,  because of their actions, We as  Good Scanner listeners  will not be able to here  much when they go Encrypted ..  I wish people would quit blaming  the Cheap import radios like the Bo –Things  it is like  buying a  gun and robbing  the bank it is not the Radio or Gun it is the users..

This  type of activity has been going on for yrs  even in our area  Encryption is not the answer and is dangerous  Because  of Interoperability   BUT Do not blame the Radios  it is the person using them illegally

Please Be Safe and Stay Healthy

Don KA9QJG

Failure to communicate: CPD radio system exposed during protests, looting

WGN INVESTIGATES

by: Ben Bradley

https://wgntv.com/news/wgn-investigates/failure-to-communicate-cpd-radio-system-exposed-during-protests-looting/?fbclid=IwAR33oUUIWoaimbIHiaBAuAeh3qQTQv24iHgbjD0293OA5ruhLfpMWzI6siw

CHICAGO — A long-standing weakness in the Chicago Police Department’s radio system was once again exposed this weekend at the height of confrontational clashes between police and protesters.

In volatile situation, a police radio can be a lifeline. It’s how officers quickly respond to trouble, but also call for help when they feel threatened.

While every officer had riot gear this weekend, they didn’t all have radios.

John Catanzara is the president of the police union.

 “Every two officers were issued one radio,” he said. “I think that’s a major safety concern and this isn’t a new problem.”

Sources told WGN Investigates that several times in recent days someone, or several people, briefly blocked police frequencies with their own transmissions.

Catanzara said he believes it was tech savvy agitators who commandeered the communication system in quick bursts.

 “Someone decided to play some music in the background.  There were obviously derogative about the mayor and about the superintendent and some obvious suggestions and advice about police tactics,” he said.  “I don’t think it was always Antifa but there were outside people who seem to want to bring back the 1968 convention tactics.”

Mayor Lori Lightfoot said it didn’t cause any real problems.

 “I think there were some inappropriate people that were sporadically on the lines,” she said.  “It didn’t hinder any communications with officers in the field or interfere with deployments.”

It can happen because Chicago police communications aren’t encrypted.

They can be monitored with scanners and via websites. Police movements can be tracked.  And with a few modifications, unauthorized people can transmit on the frequencies.

Several other big cities, including Denver, now use encrypted frequencies making them harder to penetrate.

Encryption also poses challenges.  For example, during this weekend’s unrest, Chicago police were backed-up by state police and Cook County Sheriff’s.  They all need to be able to communicate on the same frequencies.

John O’Malley is a law enforcement analyst for WGN News.

 “When you have a massive amount of people who don’t normally work together, that’s hard to get the communication onto an encrypted channel,” he said.

Typically, the city’s Office of Emergency Management and Communications can determine whether a transmission came from a police radio or an outsider.

WGN Investigates was told the source of this weekend’s transmissions has not yet been determined.

A police spokesman said the department is exploring the use of encrypted communications for day-to-day operations but there’s no timeline for when it may happen.

Government watchdogs and the media are typically opposed to encrypted communications because it means the public can’t hear in real-time how police are operating.

Living in Portland, Oregon, using a grecom

From the time that the riots started there has been a small tone burst on all the 700 &  800 Frequencies in the portland area.    Anyone know what this is?

Thannks

Roy Englund

Now why does that not surprise me, especially for the city of Portland.  I heard the announcement earlier that they were to go to Tac 2 but I didn’t know it was encrypted.   Seems like police scanning in the city of Portland Oregon is something of the past.

Thanks for your help.  That solved it.

On Wednesday, June 3, 2020, 3:07 PM, Chris Parris <cparris2@...> wrote:

OK - I am also hearing those tones on the Central and East Dispatch talk group.

It appears those are the “Channel Closed” beeps and all the traffic has moved to the Central and East TAC talk groups, which are encrypted.

- Chris

> On Jun 3, 2020, at 2:49 PM, Joe M. <mch@...> wrote:
>
> Is there an alert in your scanner set?
>
> What model GRE is it?
>
> I think in some models you could set a tone for encrypted audio, and they have always just stayed on encrypted channels until the activity was over, but if yours is starting to scan again...
>
> Joe M.
>
> On 6/3/2020 5:23 PM, Roy Englund via groups.io wrote:
>> Here is the recording.  It seems that all area’s (N. E, NE, Central,
>> They are all off line.  Even when I log on to the internet scanner, it
>> too is just playing the tone.    MCSO and detectives are still on line
>>

>> <https://overview.mail.yahoo.com/?.src=iOS>
>>
>> On Wednesday, June 3, 2020, 1:49 PM, Chris Parris <cparris2@...>
>> wrote:
>>
>>    The Portland Police have been going fully encrypted when the rioting
>>    started. I have been listening with a Uniden and have just heard the
>>    small burst of encrypted voice when the scanner moves on. I have not
>>    heard any beeps.
>>
>>    - Chris
>>
>>    > On Jun 3, 2020, at 11:36 AM, Roy Englund via groups.io
>>    <renglund2=yahoo.com@groups.io <mailto:yahoo.com@groups.io>> wrote:
>>    >
>>    > Living in Portland, Oregon, using a grecom
>>    >
>>    > From the time that the riots started there has been a small tone
>>    burst on all the 700 &  800 Frequencies in the portland area.
>>    Anyone know what this is?
>>    >
>>    >
>>    >
>>    >
>>    >
>>    > Thannks
>>    >
>>    > R
>>

>> <http://www.avg.com/email-signature?utm_medium=email&utm_source=link&utm_campaign=sig-email&utm_content=emailclient>
>> <http://www.avg.com/email-signature?utm_medium=email&utm_source=link&utm_campaign=sig-email&utm_content=emailclient>
>>

>> <#DAB4FAD8-2DD7-40BB-A1B8-4E2AA1F9FDF2>

tom mason

this would be a good time to test the encrypted technology .
tom from auburn ca.

On Wednesday, June 3, 2020, 2:46:42 PM PDT, Roy Englund via groups.io <renglund2@...> wrote:

Here is the recording.  It seems that all area’s (N. E, NE, Central,   They are all off line.   Even when I log on to the internet scanner, it too is just playing the tone.     MCSO and detectives are still on line

On Wednesday, June 3, 2020, 1:49 PM, Chris Parris <cparris2@...> wrote:

The Portland Police have been going fully encrypted when the rioting started. I have been listening with a Uniden and have just heard the small burst of encrypted voice when the scanner moves on. I have not heard any beeps.

- Chris

> On Jun 3, 2020, at 11:36 AM, Roy Englund via groups.io <renglund2=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:
>
> Living in Portland, Oregon, using a grecom
>
> From the time that the riots started there has been a small tone burst on all the 700 &  800 Frequencies in the portland area.    Anyone know what this is?
>

> Thannks

Joe M.

Yea - a few bad apples give everyone a bad name, and you
have the vocal minorirty calling for more restrictions.

Applies to encryption or nearly any other
'hot button topic' you care to insert.

Programming MDC is no more difficult than programming
frequency/CTCSS-CDCSS. And even encrypted channels
are subject to jamming - as are trunked systems.

Just like anything else - the criminals
will ALWAYS find a way to disrupt things.

All restrictions will do is criminalize law-abiding citizens.
(and make more money for the manufacturers and raise taxes)

Joe M.

*WGN INVESTIGATES <https://wgntv.com/news/wgn-investigates/>*

*by: Ben Bradley <https://wgntv.com/author/ben-bradley/>*

https://wgntv.com/news/wgn-investigates/failure-to-communicate-cpd-radio-system-exposed-during-protests-looting/?fbclid=IwAR33oUUIWoaimbIHiaBAuAeh3qQTQv24iHgbjD0293OA5ruhLfpMWzI6siw

**

**

On 2020-06-03 17:23, Roy Englund via groups.io wrote:
Here is the recording.  It seems that all area’s (N. E, NE, Central,   They are all off line.   Even when I log on to the internet scanner, it too is just playing the tone.     MCSO and detectives are still on line

Fail safe mode? It will beep like that to let you know you're not trunked.

Mike Derryberry

On 6/3/2020 3:09 PM, KA9QJG wrote:

[...]

Thankfully at my department **everyone** is issued their own handheld radio. It's programmed with the deputies ID number and that number shows up on my radio screen whenever they transmit. If they hit their emergency button on the radio, we get this really obnoxious tone in our ears and their ID is in red so we know who needs help. Our department assigns take home vehicles to close to 90% of our deputies and when they transmit from their car, it gives us their vehicle number. Scary that not every officer has a radio on their belt.

We've had problems with those cheap import radios causing havoc on our channels, but our radio shop has direction finders and loves a good challenge of finding them.

Mike

--
miked911@...
Mike Derryberry

Dispatcher II
Kern County Sheriff's Department
Bakersfield, CA

Listen to Kern County Scanning:
http://energy10.egihosting.com:3070/listen.pls

Listen to Central California Fire Scanning
http://energy10.egihosting.com:3072/listen.pls

Joe Polcari

Correct.

*Sent:* Wednesday, June 03, 2020 4:02 PM

Vince

Of *Roy Englund via groups.io

*Sent:* Wednesday, June 03, 2020 2:37 PM

Living in Portland, Oregon, using a grecom

  From the time that the riots started there has been a small tone burst

on all the 700 &  800 Frequencies in the portland area.    Anyone know

what this is?

Thannks

<#DAB4FAD8-2DD7-40BB-A1B8-4E2AA1F9FDF2>

~Bill

Been a long time since the agencies I monitor had a Fail Soft issue, but generally with FailSoft there is also a DEAD CARRIER along with the FailSoft tone, this did not sound like Failsoft